FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last
    Tom

Trend Setter

Green Parka - Do I Keep It?

Bought a green parka very similar to the one posted below, i'm not sure whether to keep it or not and aside from the predictable black jeans and some boots I was wondering if anyone had any looks to pursuade me to keep it. I'm undecided as to whether it'll make me look like some indie kid that should be skulking round drug dens smoking roll-ups or not.

Any suggestions welcome!

Cheers.

Jay

Style Icon
    Keep it!

If you wear it with scuffed up jeans and battered converse then sure you'll look as you described. However, wear it with a smart pair of indigo jeans, a pair of brogues or brogue boots, a cable knit or fair isle jumper (crew or roll neck), and finish it off with a chunky scarf then you can smarten it up no end and look quite the dapper gent in it.

How much was it?

I'm inclined to say that if you're not 100% sure about it, then it probably isn't worth keeping. But on the other hand, some items which I have initially been unsure about have turned out to be absolute favourites!

Tom

Trend Setter
    It was £50 in TK Maxx, along with a £100 Evisu pea coat, and very nearly another coat as well, so it was bought in a bit of an excitable frenzy. I know what you mean about doubting things that turn out to be favourites, and I do quite like it, it's just a matter of not looking like i'm about to mug people for drug money when I wear it out.

Evisu pea coat for £100!? lol I love that shop!

What's the pea coat like?

FashionBeans Staff
    On a completely unrelated note (although it does link to the drugs thing) I've often worn my dads old barbour jacket, its about 25 years old, sage and really faded, a proper country coat and it goes down to my knees near enough and I've been asked if I'm SELLING drugs quite a number of times.

Tom

Trend Setter
    Maybe there's a new line of business for you, you seem like a natural at shifting contraband haha!

This is the coat, Hard to see the shape but it's fairly fitted with enough room to get a jumper and a scarf under there. Doesn't show the RRP on the tag and I haven't found it online but i'm sure it was a bit more than £100.

Keeps the wind out a treat! I was actually looking for a Navy coloured one but this replaces my worn out grey one that's too dark to be grey and not dark enough to be black.

I think the key with all parkers - as anything - is the fit.

If the fit is good you can dress it up as aforementioned and it'll look good and pretty well on trend too from the looks of some of the major brand look books. The ability to pull off that look depends on it not being too big and drowning you - which parkers can often do... and that unfortunately is somthing you'll have to judge yourself.

Tom, I'd wager it would have been slightly more than that too

I picked up an Evisu shirt in there the other day that was £35, down from £270!

Trend Setter
    Well, you can stay away from the indie look by wearing smarter trousers and something simple on top. Say a basic tee, shirt or piece of knitwear.

Take pic 1 and 3 for example:

Both looks feature casual outerwear that still looks stylish and grown-up when incorporated into clean outfits.

+ Reply to Thread