FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Shirt Ideas For Plain Black Suit

Hello everyone,

I received some useful advice regarding shoes on this forum so i was wondering what shirt do you recommend for upcoming summer ball. I have a slim cut plain black zara suit and cannot afford another suit so itll have to do. I think it will look a bit too plain if i do the standard black tie/white shirt so does anyone have other suggestions for a shirt to go with it?

Thank you

Ryan

You could really brighten it up with some tonal accessories. Say pink shirt / red tie / orange pocket square? Or pale blue shirt, purple tie, green pocket square?

You can do pretty much anything with this look. A pocket square is the best way to separate yourself from the herd and add flair though.

You could even jump on the patterns trend, and opt for a combination like this, which would really soften the look (it seems a bit too much like funeral attire at present, I know!)

Both from Reiss

Jay

Style Icon
    Personally, I'd go with the white shirt black tie and white pocket square (square fold). It's a stone cold classic look, effortlessly stylish in it's simplicity.

An alternative, and something I wear often for work is black gingham shirt and plain dark red tie combo. I tend to team it with a plain mid/dark grey pocket square (which is subtle against the black of the suit and doesn't take attention away from the shirt and tie).

But really go with white shirt and black tie.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm definitely going with a pocket square now. The other suit accessories like a collar bar/tie pin interest me but i'm yet to see anyone who looks good with one.

I like the black and white look but just think everyone will go for that so i might check out the looks from first reply and see if they suit me.

EDIT: oh, and another thing, what's the advice on belts? avoid one?

I'm in the same position as you, got a bloody leaver's doo next week and think I have the same slim cut zara suit!

If you go for a plain white shirt but want to be different, maybe try a penny collar or add a collar pin/pocket square.

I'm stuck for shoes, would Oxblood be OK with the black suit? Can't really decide

Jay

Style Icon
    Opions will differ on the whole black suit/brown (oxblood is close enough) shoes combination. I'm a firm believer that it's always a bad choice - in formal situations even more so. My advice: don't do it; stick to black.

FashionBeans Staff
    black tie, black shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Opions will differ on the whole black suit/brown (oxblood is close enough) shoes combination. I'm a firm believer that it's always a bad choice - in formal situations even more so. My advice: don't do it; stick to black.
    Thanks, I'd never go black/brown, but wasn't sure about Oxblood. Kinda wish I got a grey suit but as always, left it stupidly late!

FashionBeans Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by William Colman View Post
    black tie, black shoes.
    100% agree.

Or just skip the whole tie business all together. Gives you more room with a shirt, maybe even go for a print, ASOS have some pretty cool ones that are grounded in white so it would work well. And then just go with a simple white lined pocket square and you're off.
    "Style is more character than clothes, more attitude than affluence. It’s you making visible your inner self. So forget what you learned about appearance not counting; you can no longer afford to be without style." - Hara Estroff Morano

+ Reply to Thread