FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Outfit Help Thread!

I thought an outfit feedback thread would be a good shout, for those of us who have an outfit in mind but want to tweak it that extra little bit, whether that be accessory suggestions, item switch ideas, or general insults and negativity.

I'll start; it's my GFs bday party at the weekend, and I've got this in mind:

These are all the exact items except the blazer, which is actually a one-button double-vented Navy one by Feraud, which has a very subtle check and is a bit darker than that pictured. I may also throw in a Navy bobble hat.

I'm aware that this outfit toys with convention slightly; but the question is: Is this combination an inspired play on the boundaries of smart-casual and workwear, or is it just a blazer plonked on top of a casual look? Is it cohesive? Will it look good?

Thoughts please, fashionbeans man dem! x

Jay

Style Icon
    I really like the outfit! The colours work really well; navy and any shade of brown is always a winner. I especially like how the shirt collar picks out the colour of the jeans (or are they cords? I can't quite tell from the photo).

I'm not one for work style boots myself, and changing those for something a touch smarter might balance the outfit and make the blazer feel more grounded.

That's just nitpicking though as the outfit is a great balance between smart and casual with a great balance of colour and texture.

The trousers are cords- I would love to wear my brogue boots, but as the trousers are quite cropped, they do not reach the boots. I suppose I could incorporate some sort of statement sock into the whole affair...

Ok, so I changed the footwear to the Hudson Brogue boots with a flash of Nordic-patterned sock. Infinitely better. The thread paid off! Who's next?

Trend Setter
    Love the outfit pins!

Sam

Style Icon
    I think the blazer might look slightly out of place next to the more washed out shirt and trousers - for me the easiest way of tying it in would be to push the blazer sleeves up slightly and fold the shirt cuffs over them.
    Great look. Denim shirt/navy blazer is something I'd love to try myself, but sadly I own neither!

Thanks guys. Sam, I think that it was looking a little washed out in contrast with the blazer until I pulled in the rich brown brogues. These really match it together well. I don't think I want to (or can) push up the blazer sleeves, but the shirt cuffs do protrude anyway which adds to the balance.

Is a pocket square going too far? I'm thinking yes.

Sam

Style Icon
    I can understand why you wouldn't want to do that - it's not great for the jacket.

And funnily enough I was going to suggest a pocket square but it did seem like overkill.

Perhaps a belt matching your shoes would do the trick?

Otherwise I guess you're good to go - knock em out!

Belt matching shoes is standard, my friend!

I've got a woven one which I picked up from a christmas market for £12

Sam

Style Icon
    Smashing. Nothing left to say then, I guess - have a good one!

+ Reply to Thread