FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Advice Needed On Coordinating Sunglasses With Outfit

I have a pair of bronze-framed aviator-like sunglasses, as well as a pair of wayfarers. However, I'm not too sure how to coordinate it with my outfit. For example, which to wear when I'm wearing a more casual outfit? A more formal outfit? And color-wise? Or season-wise?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Sam

Style Icon
    Well sunglasses don't really come in smart or casual varieties - and you needn't worry too much about co-ordinating them with your outfit either. And season-wise? You just wear them when the sun's out.
    Wayfarers are slightly kitschy and retro, while aviators are a little slicker with a more European vibe perhaps. Besides that, maybe just decide which to wear judging by which is most on-trend? In that respect I suspect wayfarers are on their way out, but they're still a timeless look. Timeless and kitsch at the same time may seem like a contradiction, of course. I can't really justify that one

Style Icon
    I agree with Sam: there's no real smart or formal variety of sunglasses. I think what's on trend has the propensity to look less smart though: when everyone is wearing something, it really takes the edge away from it's relation to smart-attire (clothing usually saved for certain situations). So I'd suggest anything other than a Wayfarer would be fine, dependent on your face-shape.

Jay

Style Icon
    Really? I have different sunglasses that I wear depending on the formality and style of my attire

FashionBeans Staff
    There should perhaps be rules regarding frame and lens colour and of course I don't condone anyone wearing hideous oakley esque sunglasses with formal wear or wearing them at all for that matter, but otherwise, I think you are free to wear them as you will.

Fashionisto
    Thanks for the responses guys!
    So really you just wear whichever pair you feel like that day, regardless of the outfit?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Really? I have different sunglasses that I wear depending on the formality and style of my attire
    Can you please give a few examples?

Jay

Style Icon
    Well, I tend to wear glasses with thinner frames (Aviator style shades) with more formal outfits and thicker frames (Wayfarer style) with more casual outfits as a rule.

I find wayfarers and workwear don't mix for me; the exception to that is my brown tortoise shell Wayfarers with a navy suit. They tend to suit my casual style which I suppose is retro/classic/indie chic. (I hate defining what I wear).

And as I'm not into a military/James Dean 'Rebel...' look, then Aviators don't seem to suit my casual outfits, unless I'm going for classic Italian Riviera chic, which seem to suit both styles equally well. So, I tend to wear them with suits most often.

I wouldn't claim this was based on any style bible. It's simply personal taste and nothing more.

Sam

Style Icon
    I like wayfarers with a suit - it's got a Blues Brothers vibe

Jay

Style Icon
    Which is a good reason to avoid wayfarers with a suit.

+ Reply to Thread