FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 Last

FashionBeans Staff
    anything tailored; cotton is best, so chino shorts are good.

Trend Setter
    Chino shorts are great! I find looking smart in summer almost impossible. Can't wait for fall.

Thanks for the advice everyone

Yeah chino shorts are my next definite purchase and either boat shoes or loafers.
    The next thing I want is a blazer so what kind should I get ? Tweed, Navy, Black etc. Also should it be branded or just a cheap one ?

Style Icon
    A lightweight navy one is probably a winner. Tweed might look a bit try hard with shorts, save those textures for winter.

Oh I was meaning for winter or sort of an all year round blazer I could wear to family dinner parties and functions.

Jay

Style Icon
    If you don't own a blazer, then a simple single-breasted two buttoned, notch lapel in either navy or mid-grey is the best place to start as they will be the most versatile, suitable for every season and can be dressed up or down very easily.

Don't worry about branding. If you can afford to, buy wool, as it will last longer, but as a teenager exploring what works for you then I'd consider buying something a little cheaper - you can find plenty for around £100 (no idea what that is in NZ money). You can always spend money on quality when you are sure of your personal style and therefore know what you buy you'll like in years to come.

Thanks alot Jay !

Navy or Grey I think would be my best bet. I might just get one off ASOS on sale or something and 100 Pounds is 200 NZD haha. I just want to experiment and see what goes with what at my age.

Also where could I find good quality chino shorts that would last awhile ?

Jay

Style Icon
    Actually, that is one place where you can save money. I've been known to spend a fortune on clothes, but when it comes to chinos, Topman is a good a place as any I've found. They aren't too heavy (hence the cheap price), which is great for summer, they are wonderfully skinny (if you're into that look) and seem to last reasonably well. The only downside is that they tend to come with cheap white buttons which look hideous, but for a few dollars and a little know how (youtube is your friend) you can sew on buttons that will look great.

Yeah I have about two pairs of chinos off Topman and they're amazing. Yes I agree about the buttons they look so tacky and cheap !

But are their chino shorts any good ? I could possibly buy a full length pair and cut them but I think that's too much of a hassle.

Oh and Jay this is the sort of blazer i'm talking about, something casual yet can be dressed up.

http://cdn1.lookbook.nu/files/looks/...jpg?1303474188

+ Reply to Thread