FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Style Icon

Building A Capsule Wardrobe: Essential Knitwear

My journey to building a new wardrobe to see me into my twenties is finally started to pick up speed. I've already overcome my fear of chinos, nice shoes, blazers and decent shirts. Now the next box to tick off is knitwear.

What knitwear could you not live without? Should I focus on buying the basics, or buy into the fairisle trend?

Pictures are welcome, cheers guys!

Jay

Style Icon
    If you're building a basics wardrobe, avoid trends like fair isle, cable knit and so on. They'll seem great now, but once that trend is over you'll have them sitting at the back of your wardrobe wondering why you spent so much on them. (I'm looking at you Paul Smith grey breton striped cardigan!).

What you want is a mixture of heavier and lighter knits in blocked neutral colours (avoid pattern) that can work with anything: so black, navy and grey.

I think five knits can get you through life (in any of the above colours):

1 fine knit cardigan (no shawl collar)
    1 heavier knit cardigan (shawl collar or not, depending on your taste)
    1 v neck jumper
    1 crew neck jumper
    1 roll neck

I'd personally keep the three jumpers in lighter knits as you can always layer them for the winter so will get use out of them in all seasons, whereas heavier knits will only be worn when it gets cold.

It really doesn't matter which knits are in those three colours (although I'd personally have the roll-neck in black, the v neck in grey, the crew neck in navy, a light navy cardigan and a heavier grey one, but that's just personal taste).

Avoid detailing that might be identified as trend (shoulder buttons on crews or toggles on cardigans for example), obtrusive logos and zips on cardigans.

And, if you can, buy natural fabrics which will last. These five items, if chosen carefully (and dare I say it conservatively), will last you many years if the quality is good enough.

Jay

Style Icon
    The knitwear essentials in photos (all from Yoox because I'm feeling lazy):

The fine knit cardigan:

The chunky knit cardigan:

The crew necked jumper:

The V-necked jumper:

The roll necked jumper:

Style Icon
    Brilliant advice and those are all gorgeous! I've got a much clearer idea of what I'm looking for now!

+ Reply to Thread