FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
    Jmz

What Should I Wear With These Chinos?

I bought some chinos a few weeks back (my first pair). They were basically just an impulse buy because I liked them, I didn't consider what I would wear with them.

These are the trousers: http://www.republic.co.uk/trousers+c...os/invt/52928/

I'm just looking for some ideas for tops & shoes to wear with them for a night out. Last time I wore them I wore a white t-shirt and some white plimsolls (not very adventurous, I know) but we ended up in a club and my plimsolls got absolutely destroyed from people standing on them.

EDIT: Fixed link.
    Last edited by Jmz; 10-10-2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: fixed link

Jay

Style Icon
    The link doesn't take me to the right page.

Sam

Style Icon
    Is that a drop crotch I see? Something I've never been able to swing with personally! Still.

You could try swimming against the drop crotch chino tide and dressing them up a touch. A waistcoat (undone) and shirt (worn untucked, top couple of buttons undone and rolled up, and make sure it's a relaxed, but not baggy fit) could look cool, or a blazer and T shirt (a henley would look particularly sharp, I think). In terms of colours try keeping it mostly neutral and let the trousers do the talking. A flash of colour like, say, a red sport watch, could add interest.

Alternatively, you could try using some chunky knitwear to get in the Topman ballpark that drop crotch chinos are naturally going to float you around without looking like a mannequin. Whether this works or not would probably depend on the knit you chose. I'd go for something like this: ASOS | ASOS Textured Shawl Neck Jumper at ASOS
    In terms of shoes I'd personally opt for brown or tan leather, in a brogue, brogue boot or perhaps a desert boot. Keep it classic, drop crotch chinos are easy to look scruffy in. Your white plimsolls do sound like a safe bet, though.

Just some suggestions of mine - might not suit you but see if you can make any of them work!

I'd also suggest that things to avoid would be roll necks (too much fabric at the neck and crotch could look a bit silly) and checked shirts (simply because you would look like everybody else). If you go for a scoopy or slouchy T shirt you will look like an X Factor contestant. Which you may or may not want!

Jmz

Not a clue what's going on with the link: Fabric V3 Chinos (Mens) | Buy Mens Trousers & Chinos online from Republic

If that doesn't work they're the grey fabric v3 chinos.

Thanks for the tips SAM. I really have a hard time imagining what stuff will look like together so I've started putting stuff in Photoshop to get an idea of what they will look like. Will try your ideas out!

FashionBeans Staff
    Firstly great idea with pulling some ideas together into photoshop, thats defiantly going to help give you a visual idea of what things will look like.

The chinos are pretty neutral, so A LOT will go with them. They're also quite a casual style, so you could maybe smarten the look with a formal slim fit shirt and blazer or a cotton jumper. Like I said they're quite a neutral chino, so you can experiment quite a lot with them.
    "Lifes too short to blend in..." - Owner of Brighterman Accessories

Check out my articles for Fashion Beans - In my spare time I try to live a lifestyle I normally can't afford

Sam

Style Icon
    Oops, I'd thought they were blue!
    I suggest you go for more colour on top then, suddenly the world is your oyster! Just Do try not to look like a topman mannequin and you'll be A-OK. Paul's advice is good stuff too, of course!

+ Reply to Thread