FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Jacket For Fall?

Hi all,

First off let me start by saying that my fashion sense is horrible and that I usually do not put much effort in how I dress. However that is something I'm trying to chance and I thought I could ask you guys for some advice!

I'm 17 years old and I'm in need of a new jacket which I can use for fall here in Amsterdam. I'm open for anything really, but I was thinking of maybe a leather jacket. As of now I have 2 bluish jackets and 1 green so I think maybe a black one would be good. I know it's hard to determine what will suit me, but please post anything you recommend.

Budget is around 200

Regards,

Jon

Trend Setter
    The five winter jackets that every guy should own are probably:

Mac/Trench coat
    Pea coat
    Leather jacket
    Denim jacket
    Parka

Of course, some of those are unsuitable for other seasons, so if you are looking for something a bit more versatile you might want to consider the denim or leather options, or you could go for a varsity jacket (sometimes known as a baseball jacket). They are very popular at the moment and can be dressed up and down. If you decide to go for a leather jacket, be very careful with the fit. That's true of any of the above options, but particularly of leather jackets. I'd suggest buying one from a store if possible, as you will be able to get a much better idea of fit.

Thanks for your relpy MERC05!

The more I think off it, the more I start to like the idea of a leather jacket. However, it would be my first one so do you have any suggestions of any leather jackets? Also, is there anything else I should think about besides be careful with the fit and try it in a store?

/Jon

Trend Setter
    You're from Holland right? I'm not sure what retailers you have available there, or quite how much €200 will buy you over there. When I converted that to pounds sterling I got a budget of just under 160, which wouldn't be a lot for a leather jacket here. I've found two articles written a while ago by the FB writers, they probably give a more detailed overview of leather jackets than I could hope to offer, so take a look at them:

The Leather Bomber Jacket | FashionBeans.com

The Essential Leather Jacket Guide | FashionBeans.com

If you're looking for a versatile leather jacket that is unlikely to go out of fashion, I'd recommend either a leather bomber jacket or biker jacket. Avoid any leather jacket that has a hood, it limits your layering options and doesn't look very good in my opinion. Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread