FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
    Sam

Style Icon

Specs Offender - Men's Glasses Advice

Sorry. I really really couldn't resist that title
    But what I'm after is some advice on glasses!
    You'd think I'd have cracked it by now given I've been wearing them all my life, but nope!

I'm after a new pair for Christmas (it is, after all, October... ) The issue I have is that my prescription is really thick. What this rules out is really big lenses (anything over 55mm diameter) and rimless or partially rimmed frames. I think I'm an oval face so that's handy - I might err towards being diamond faced though as angular frames have always suited better but my face is quite large and long. Fairly pale skin tone too. The big problem is that my specs blow up my eyes to tremendous proportions - spoils my face I think.
    These restrictions in mind what do you think I should go for? I need to play down the size of my eyes and the thickness of the lens.

Those are what I have now; they suit alright but I'm looking for something that will really gel - they've got to be perfect! Money, within reason, isn't too much of an object here. I have to wear them every day and glasses are part of what defines me as a person, for better or worse!
    Obviously trying things on helps more but any help anybody can be would be great!
    Thanks!

Fashionisto
    What about these?

Not the best picture I agree, they are Ted baker's metropolitan 8060.

Sam

Style Icon
    Those look quite cool - thanks
    Awful similar to what I've got though! What I'm interested in is finding something which might play down the size my eyes get blown up to... how I might do that, I don't know though!

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Those look quite cool - thanks
    Awful similar to what I've got though! What I'm interested in is finding something which might play down the size my eyes get blown up to... how I might do that, I don't know though!
    I wear them - so thank you! haha

If you go for something with a much bigger lense area I would have thought they would makie you eyes appear bigger. I imagine the eye thing is more to do with the thickness of your lenses than the glasses themself. That's not to say you cant find something that reduces the illusion.

Sam

Style Icon
    Yeah, that's what I'm after - something that draws away attention a bit. It's a bugger because I personally prefer bigger glasses, but my prescription doesn't facilitate it! Thanks for the advice.

Fashionisto
    Im not sure I was much help tbh.

Im just not sure whether glasses with a bold fram would take the attention away from the eye thing or actually frame them and make the appearence worst?

+ Reply to Thread