FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2
    Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by rubyblue View Post
    Jay, I would recommend you to go for darker trousers, as grey, black, or even a shade of blue (the monochromatic look has been very big lately) and keep the rest of the look neutral. It may be a better canvas for the blue in the shoes, since the contrast won't be as high as with the beige or white chinos and you will feel less self-conscious.
    That's exactly the opposite of my thinking really. I figure monochromes will make them stand out like a sore thumb. I just need to try a few outfits with them (I can see a dressed down grey suit, or indigo jeans and breton striped sweater working). I shall have to experiment (including the monochromes you suggest) and I might be pleasantly surprised.

Sam

Style Icon
    Jay - how about teaming your shoes with dark wash jeans or navy chinos, with a bit of pastel colour up top? Pink or, if you can find a nice shade, green are ones I think would work nicely. And bring it into the colder season by using a rollneck, or wearing it with a suitably warm jacket - say, a grey blazer in wool, cord (admittedly a grey cord blazer might not sound great) or tweed? Or both? It's probably a bit colourful for some tastes, but I think with the right pieces that could be quite nice. The tonal interplay between the shoes and trousers, and the bright/pale contrast between the shoes and top are what I like.
    Rubyblue's suggestion is really cool too; but I do agree with you about them sticking out if you use monochromes. I actually occasionally wear monochromes (usually black and white) to make a single colour really pop. It's one of the things that works with those green trousers actually! Personally I'd just go for it and let the shoes be a focal point - but I'm known to be at times, ahem, unsubtle.

Jay

Style Icon
    The Nick Wooster article was quite timely and gave me some inspiration actually. He pulls of very simple, plain outfits with shoes that pop. I shall give it a whirl.

And its the Paul Smith warehouse sale in a few weeks: designer items at bargain bin prices. I'm going to be lighting this thread up with purchases I wouldn't have dreamed of paying full price for!

Not quite clothes related nor do i have a picture, but just had my hair cut and instantly regret it, i cant do anything with it, and the cut is too neat (if that makes any sense) not choppy enough, my hairline doesnt like it(cowlick). Was going for the look on the top right.

Booo!!

Sam

Style Icon
    Boy do I hate it when that happens! Do you go to the same hairdresser every time? I find it's really helped to stick to the same stylist, and by now she knows what works, how to cut my hair and understands what I'm after better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Boy do I hate it when that happens! Do you go to the same hairdresser every time? I find it's really helped to stick to the same stylist, and by now she knows what works, how to cut my hair and understands what I'm after better.
    Yeah its a real pain, it always happens when ive asked for that little bit shorter off, at the time i think yep my hair def needs to go abit shorter then when it comes to actually style it, it was a awful mistake! My mum has always cut my hair right since i was a child as before she had me and my sisters she used to be a hairdresser. Perhaps the way hair was cut then cant acheive the same as the modern style looks and perhaps i should go to a hairdressers. Im reluctant to go to one as i have no idea what to ask for or do and just feel it would be so awkward heh.

My hair is annoying, as not much can be done with it, but im tired of having to spike it all up, i want something more tame and relaxed such as the top 2 images to the right on my post above or the middle on the bottom row. Just saw the girlfriend and she hates it more than me haha not good, ahwell only 2 weeks between a bad cut when it comes to my hair!

EDIT: Ignore the above, tried again today and realised what i was doing wrong, now really liking the new chop!
    Last edited by Rich; 16-10-2011 at 08:02 PM.

+ Reply to Thread