FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

What Kind Of Watch Should I Get?

Prada E-Store

I have these sunglasses, what kind of material should I get? Ceramic or leather? And I have been told that I should match my watch with my sunglasses which makes sense, any good options? I have a pretty small wrist, never measured or anything would be my first watch, never cared for them but seems as I advance in the world it is looking a little bit more mandatory.

As it is probably necessary for my wrist size, I just measured it to be 6.7"

I don't believe watches should have tomatch anything! I think a classic watch, whether it has a metal or leather strap, will go with anything (with the exception of black tie maybe).

It all depends how much money you want to spend- what is your budget?

My budget I would probably want to cut off at 500, why what kind of options did you have in mind?

Also is leather too dressy on a watch? I want it to be an everyday watch, something casual but still stylish.

Burberry - Slim Classic Watch/Black - Saks.com

I'm interested in this, but I'm just a bit worried it is too dressy, thoughts? I know you can swap out bands, but would a metal band look too cheesy on it?

I'm not able to picture it in my head what are your thoughts? These are just two that I found.

http://www.watch-band-center.com/wat...teel-band.html

http://www.esslinger.com/20mm-stainl...d-for-men.aspx
    Last edited by BKC5; 13-09-2012 at 02:29 AM.

The way you have to look at it, and please don't think I'm being patronising because I'm not, is if you're going to spend £500 on a new watch, it isn't an investment piece. Apart from the very top end of the scale, watches by fashion houses are not the greatest quality and although they look beautiful, are never going to last a lifetime or hold their value (a mate of mine tried to part ex a 6 month old, £1000 Gucci watch and was offered £150!). With that in mind I'd take one of three choices either a- choose a good looking one and don't worry if it costs £50 0r £500 b- save up a bit and go for a luxury brand or c- look at the second hand market

Second hand from a reliable seller is a good way to go, for eg (a little over budget admittedly)

http://www.watches.co.uk/watch/12514...i-quartz-9976/

If you want new one with a leather strap, I think these are beautiful

http://www.bosswatches.co.uk/p-283-boss-black-mens-watch-1512574.aspx

http://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstor...s+strap+watch/

I think in the <£500 bracket, Armani & Hugo Boss absolutely kill it style wise

Trend Setter
    for under the £500 mark i would buy tissot you can get a decent automatic visodate from which has a lovely leather strap, or if your looking for something more sporty with a cronograph function then i would look at the PRS200, theres a lovely gold one with a blue face.

Buy Tissot T0194301603100 Gold Visodate Men's Strap Watch, Brown/gold online at JohnLewis.com - John Lewis
    Buy Tissot T067.417.33.041.00 T-Sport PRS200 Chronograph Gents Watch - T0674173304100 Tissot -

Tom

Trend Setter
    +1 for Tissot. I've got a PRC200 Chrono and it's a great watch, not too big either. Also have a Seiko automatic which are another solid option for that kind of money, if a bit 'high streety'. £500 may not be an investment watch but it's obviously enough not to want to waste it. I'd stick with watch brands, as if nothing else their reputation relies on selling good watches so customer service will be better should anything go wrong.

If you want something different check out Steinhart or Hamilton.

http://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/
    http://www.ernestjones.co.uk/webstore/l/watches/category%7Cwatches/brand%7Chamilton/

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    The way you have to look at it, and please don't think I'm being patronising because I'm not, is if you're going to spend £500 on a new watch, it isn't an investment piece. Apart from the very top end of the scale, watches by fashion houses are not the greatest quality and although they look beautiful, are never going to last a lifetime or hold their value (a mate of mine tried to part ex a 6 month old, £1000 Gucci watch and was offered £150!). With that in mind I'd take one of three choices either a- choose a good looking one and don't worry if it costs £50 0r £500 b- save up a bit and go for a luxury brand or c- look at the second hand market

Second hand from a reliable seller is a good way to go, for eg (a little over budget admittedly)

Raymond Weil Don Giovanni Quartz Watch - 9976 - Ref: RW-12514S - Raymond Weil Watches | Watches.co.uk

If you want new one with a leather strap, I think these are beautiful

BOSS Black Mens watch 1512574
    Armani men's strap watch*- Ernest Jones - Love & life

Trust me, it isn't the fact that it is a named watch, it is the style of the watch that I really love actually. I just think it is perfect because of how simple it is, just love the look.

Thank you to everyone else, I'll be checking all these sites and browsing them within the next couple of days and reply if I have anymore questions.

Thanks again guys.

THM

Fashionisto
    I've had leather strap watches in the past but always found that for every day use, they don't last that well. They have a tendency (with me anyway) for the leather to go a bit dark and polished on the edges and can pong after a while too.

Black straps and ceramics are fairly contemporary and I'm not sure how long they'll stay in fashion. I think that a simple, clean, metal watch will stand the test of time best.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Totally agree. This is what I've got:
    EMPORIOARMANI® Men Classic:Men Classic Watch AR2434hich echoes my comment above. I love it, though this model might be a bit big for BKC5.

+ Reply to Thread