FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

The Next Step Up - Taking My Wardrobe To The Next Level

Recently, I have found my wardrobe a bit , well... short? I have a lot of items (mostly crappy hollister, jack wills stuff etc.) but of stuff i like to wear iv come to the point where i seem to repeatedly be wearing the same outfits, the same items etc.

But heres the problem, I have no idea what to get next to move my fashion level up that extra gear.

Il list the general items i wear/have..

chinos (rusty red, stone, khaki, petrol blue)
    jeans (black, blue..)
    t shirts (plain white/black/blue/navy/red) , (red and blue striped breton) , all saints grey polo, all saints off white t shirt and grey logo'd t shirt
    knitwear (grey cable knit jumper, grey fair isle cardigan/jackety thing)
    grey american apparel hooded jacket which i seem to find myself wearing on many occassions
    black gilet
    black duffle coat
    striped navy and white jumper
    royal (fairly bright) blue fine knit cardi
    shoes - military boots, boat shoes, all black hi top converse,
    shirts - just a casual light blue one really , not a huge fan of shirts as casual weaer for some reason
    navy blazer
    grey tight fitting waiscoat (only really wear over plain t shirts)
    assortment of scarves (navy, black, grey, striped etc.)
    black/white toy watches

seeing as iv only been bulding my newer fashion style wardrobe for around a year now, its easy to see i dont have a huge wardrobe, but im really stuck as to what essentials i should buy next, or whether i should go for on trend items, or what kind of t shirts andjumpers i need to push up to the next level.
    any help would be hugely appreciated

Tim

I used to buy a lot of 'statement' items, until i discovered that by having a wide range of basic things, you can pretty much make an endless array of outfits.

I would invest in some nice basic things, like shirts, knitwear, etc... in some basic colors (white/cream/beige/navy, etc...). Those could be combined with pretty much anything you currently have in your wardrobe.

Also, you seem to have a lot of black and white. Maybe add some colour?

Fashionisto
    Yeah I do, I need to add some sort of colour in, other than my chinos I tend to stick to alot of grey and black. Those colours you mentioned I might look into, Tim

Knitwear, yeah, but what like type/designer etc? Im a student so dont have a huge budget!

Also, what kind of t shirts ? I have plain which work well into outfits.. but im not a fan of big logo'd ones (hollister etc.), even big logo'd polos i dont like (ralph lauren big pony), and dont like overly graphic tees.. so what does that leave me? what t shirts are "in fashion" / work well ? Really stuck.

Also, jumpers help too please people?

Tim

I wasn't referring to t-shirts, but shirts. A plain white oxford shirt is very versatile, and will work in both formal and informal situations. Wear it tucked in with a blazer and a tie combined with chinos and brogues, or just dress it down: untucked with the top buttons open, paired with jeans and hi-tops. Roll up the sleeves if you feel like it.

Asos has some nice knitwear that won't break the bank. They have their own brand, but River Island is also very affordable. A simple decent quality jumper will work with almost anything.

Also, the Men's Fashion Basics series right here on Fashionbeans will be a great help. Some really nice articles in there.

I think you should be more open to wearing shirts, they can really change a look and as the previous poster mentioned they are versatile. You can wear them to fit the occasion. I was always weary of wearing a blazer for a long time but then went out and tried a few on and now I regret not attempting to wear them earlier on. I think you might feel that way about shirts! try a few on man.

As for jumpers etc, I'm really digging the funnel neck jumpers at the moment and need to purchase one in the near future. They're a bit different to your normal jumpers/knitwear.

+ Reply to Thread