FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Editor-In-Chief

eBay Clothing Bargains or Vintage Finds

Just wondered what you all thought of eBay as a place to find great clothes and/or vintage pieces for cheap?

I haven't used it in a long time - mainly because I am impatient & can't find the time to browse the auctions looking for the real bargains - but I remember years ago when All Saints hadn't taken off yet that I managed to find loads of great new or nearly new items from them for dirt cheap.

Do any of you use eBay regularly? I know our very own Ashley Cover swears by it and has picked up some quite amazing pieces on there.

So:
    • Share your tips on how to find a bargain
    • Link to items you have recently won
    • Link to items you think the community would like - obviously if they are not in your size and you don't want to buy them!
    Let's see if we can't uncover some of our own hidden gems.
    Founder & Editor In Chief of FashionBeans.com. If you have any questions about the site or want to help out in moderating our forums, please send me a PM.

Our regular readers should check out FitnessBeans.com - our brand new website concentrating on men's health and fitness.

Trend Setter
    I would say that eBay makes up well over half of my clothing purchases. I kind of begrudge paying full price for something when I know I can get it at a snip by sniping an auction. I swear by it. It helps if you are quite specific in terms of what you're looking for. Eg a certain brand of jeans or a model of a piece of knitwear. At very least, the kind of item that you're looking for rather than jus, say, 'jacket' or 'jeans'. As Ben says, you used to be able pick up All Saints stuff for peanuts if that's your bag.

I haven't got any hot links for stuff at the moment (apart from the stuff that I'm watching- sorry) but I'll give you my top hot purchases in no particular order.

Edwin ED62 Dry Kozan Hidetora. Brand new. RRP £95. I paid £25.
    Studio d'Artisan Selvedge Raw denim Jacket. Brand new. RRP £300. I paid... £10
    Jaegar herringbone tweed blazer. Vintage-still in excellent condition. Jaegar blazer RRP £200 ish. I paid £22.
    Hudson Brogue boots Worn once for a shoot. rrp £110. I paid £27.
    Nudie Dry heavy Average Joe. brand new. RRP £100. I paid £24.
    Vintage Shearling jacket. RRP £200+? I paid £50. Doesn't look like it has been worn.
    Vintage Dior prince of wales blazer. RRP £200+? I paid £18.

Countless other items.

In short. If you don't know exactly what you're looking for then you will need to be patient!

Make sure you ask for as much detail as possible, especially when looking at tailored items.

FashionBeans Staff
    You've started me off now. Thought I might have a quick look around and now i'm seriously considering a Burberry Trench coat.

Fashionisto
    I do quite a lot of shopping on eBay as well. However I go for more basic items such as t-shirts, polos and trainers as they are usually last seasons stuff. If you do search around you will sometimes find a bargain in the open bid section.

Just be aware of fakes, especially in the expensive designer sections e.g Ralph lauren, Lyle and scott

Editor-In-Chief
    Olly I think you have convinced me to have a long hard look today - some of those prices are obscene! Plus every single thing you have mentioned there I now want!

And Will - I think you definitely have to do it. It would be rude not to.
    Founder & Editor In Chief of FashionBeans.com. If you have any questions about the site or want to help out in moderating our forums, please send me a PM.

Our regular readers should check out FitnessBeans.com - our brand new website concentrating on men's health and fitness.

I used to be a fan of eBay but I have been conned a few to many times for my liking. I have received fakes before and also had the item just not turn up, I think eBay are surprisingly useless with dealing with these sorts of issues considering the size and stature of the company. I would like to foray back into the eBay market but as there are some great bargains I'm just weary of getting ripped of again.

Has anyone got any advice on how to avoid the problems I have faced in the past?

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    I used to be a fan of eBay but I have been conned a few to many times for my liking. I have received fakes before and also had the item just not turn up, I think eBay are surprisingly useless with dealing with these sorts of issues considering the size and stature of the company. I would like to foray back into the eBay market but as there are some great bargains I'm just weary of getting ripped of again.

Has anyone got any advice on how to avoid the problems I have faced in the past?
    Filtering searches by 'top rated' sellers and purchasing only from those will ensure you're less likely to be conned.

I don't really buy there (or online anywhere to be honest though). I like to try things on before I buy them. It's too easy to end up with ill-fitting rubbish when buying online (and sending them back is a pain).

FashionBeans Staff
    I was coping well with my eBay addiction until I saw this thread and Olly's purchases...
    "Lifes too short to blend in..." - Owner of Brighterman Accessories

Check out my articles for Fashion Beans - In my spare time I try to live a lifestyle I normally can't afford

I follow eBay religiously, You can get so many good things on there. I've got:
    -black Farah cardigan £8
    -levi's denim jacket £8
    -fred perry sports Jacket £12.50
    -Brown real leather Bomber jacket £10
    -Vintage Jeff E Gee acid wash jeans £8.50
    No doubt Olly is the champion though

Trend Setter
    This is quite a tasty deal if anyone fancies it. Wish it were in my size!

mens leather nudie jacket small | eBay

+ Reply to Thread