FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Upgrading Buttons

I was reading one of the older FB articles and its mentioned upgrading buttons, say on a cheap shirt, in order to make clothes look better/more expensive. I kind of like this idea.

Most of my work shirts (and those on the high street from what I can see) come with small white/pearl effect plastic buttons and now I've read the article they bother me. I've some casual shirts where more variation comes in.

My question is what would be considered a good upgrade? Matching colours of buttons to shirts, subtle or stark contrasts, upgrading to real mother of pearl or bone? I've seen you can get buttons in letter form so I could spell my name down the front of my shirts although I'm not sure if this really is in the best taste!

No doubt this is an area where there is equal room for success and catasrophe so I'd be interested to hear anyone's views or see some pictures of any work you've done.

Cheers

FashionBeans Staff
    I'm crap at sewing so I won't ever be attempting it. Personally I wouldn't change the buttons, I just don't think it's the kind of thing people would notice or really appreciate. Unless you were desperate to get change them I can't see it being worth the hassle.

Trend Setter
    I wouldn't change buttons on a work type shirt - IMHO they need to match the original shirt pretty closely and the upgrade would have to be so similar it wouldn't be noticeable.

One shirt I am planning on upgrading however is a Gap white Oxford shirt - I'd love some brown tortoise shell type buttons instead of the standard white.

If anyone has any idea on good places to buy online I'd be grateful - I really struggled to find any on eBay or just by googling (the shirt has a button down collar so need the same colour in two sizes).

Try searching for haberdasheries. Found plenty of buttons on google. Alternatively, I have a nice slim fit white oxford shirt from Burton with exactly those buttons! They do a nice blue one too but with bright white plastic buttons that WOULD be a good candidate for an upgrade!

+ Reply to Thread