FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last

Trend Setter

Opinions On 3 Suits (2 Reiss And 1 TM Lewin)

I've decided to buy another new suit for work in navy/blue whilst the sales are still on but can't quite decide on which of these 3:

Admittedly, I am influenced by the price reductions on these but I still think they are nice suits nonetheless.

The first is Reiss's Pastor Suit which is 170 from 425:

Pastor Navy Pinstripe Suit - REISS

The second is a double-breasted "Scotsdale" suit from Reiss (down to 180 from 450). I've never owned a double breasted suit and am seriously tempted because it would be different to the norm but I'm worried about 1) how boxy it will be, 2) whether I can get it tailored sufficiently to be fitted and 3) the fact the jacket would need to be fastened all the time:

Scotsdale Blue Double Breasted Suit - REISS

The third is in TM Lewin (the "Charmichael") and is 199 (apparently down from 800). Its checked (again, new for me) and looks nice (100% marino wool etc.):

Charmichael Slim-Fit 2-Button Blue Check Suit | T.M.Lewin

Any thoughts / opinions welcome!

Style Icon
    The DB one. Without a doubt. Beautiful suit I was tempted by myself.
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

Trend Setter
    Thanks! I know one of the contributors here works for Reiss - I'd be interested in his opinion.

The TM Lewin one does look nice mind too. I recently bought another TM Lewin Cashmere and Marino Wool suit and the quality is excellent.

There are mixed opinions about the qualty of construction on Reiss's formal suits but I guess for 180 I couldnt complain.

Jay

Style Icon
    The TM Lewin one by a mile.

Reiss suits tend to be fairly boxy and take a lot of tailoring to slim down enough for my taste; I own a couple and bought the Malt on sale this month and spent 100 having it tailored to fit (but then I'm VERY particular). Still a 200 saving after the tailoring so still a decent deal (and I don't own a brown suit so a nice addition to my wardrobe). They tend to be more of a classic cut than a modern tailored cut (but then I'm a fan of the Burberry skinny end of tailoring and get my suits tailored that way). I've never had a problem with the quality of Reiss suits (apart from the fact they are often semi-lined).

I looked at and would have bought the very TM Lewin one you listed in a heartbeat (or the grey one) if they'd have had either in my size.

Trend Setter
    Have you ever owned a TM Lewin suit? If so, do you find the cut and quality superior to Reiss suits?

Trend Setter
    Interesting that you say that about Reiss suits Jay. I have two and have had them tailored, yet I still don't really like the fit that much.

I really like a couple of the suits on the Burberry site, but unfortunately do not have a spare 1000 right now

Recently bought a suit from Reiss offline in my normal size with the intentions of getting it tailored, but after it arrived I found it fits very odd so sent it back.

+1 for TM Lewin, I guess.

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Textbook View Post
    Have you ever owned a TM Lewin suit? If so, do you find the cut and quality superior to Reiss suits?
    I haven't and don't. I went in a few weeks back to see if our local store had the suit in question in my size (sadly, no). Although I didn't try a full suit on (just the jacket), I had a good look at the Sackville cut suits and they looked and felt to be a decent quality.The lapels weren't too wide (one of my biggest irks with Reiss suits as I prefer a slim tie and it looks odd with a wider lapel). They still weren't a slim as I'd like but, to be honest, it's that check pattern that I'd have jumped for. It's lovely. Shoulders tick. lapels tick. The rest can be fixed.

You'll get a good quality suit whichever of those you buy (my Reiss suits get a fair bit of wear and with good care still look brand new several years later) and I'd happily part with my cash for any of them at those prices. For me, it's the fit that's better on the TM Lewin but that's all down to personal taste really (and my taste is skinnier than most for a work suit).

This is my next suit come pay day though: The Ludlow suit in Prince of Wales check Italian wool flannel - suiting - Men - J.Crew
    Last edited by Jay; 10-01-2013 at 09:55 AM.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I haven't and don't. I went in a few weeks back to see if our local store had the suit in question in my size (sadly, no). Although I didn't try a full suit on (just the jacket), I had a good look at the Sackville cut suits and they looked and felt to be a decent quality.The lapels weren't too wide (one of my biggest irks with Reiss suits as I prefer a slim tie and it looks odd with a wider lapel). They still weren't a slim as I'd like but, to be honest, it's that check pattern that I'd have jumped for. It's lovely. Shoulders tick. lapels tick. The rest can be fixed.

You'll get a good quality suit whichever of those you buy (my Reiss suits get a fair bit of wear and with good care still look brand new several years later) and I'd happily part with my cash for any of them at those prices. For me, it's the fit that's better on the TM Lewin but that's all down to personal taste really (and my taste is skinnier than most for a work suit).

This is my next suit come pay day though: The Ludlow suit in Prince of Wales check Italian wool flannel - suiting - Men - J.Crew
    That J Crew suit is nice. I've heard them described as a US equivalent to Reiss. You sound like you own a lot of suits?

Incidentally, I prefer my suits skinnier too. I bought another TM Lewin Suit (the McGoohan) which is a beautiful cashmere/marino wool mix - I'm normally a 38 jacket, 32 waist but got into the 36 jacket (the 38 was slightly over the shoulders) and it fits like a glove and looks beautiful.

I typically wear open neck shirts for work (no tie) under a suit so lapel width is less of an issue for me in balancing out a tie but I still wouldnt want to go too wide.

Going back to the thread subject, I'm still undecided!!!

Fashionisto
    I'd go for the double breasted one as well. I just love them, and I don't think they're particularly common in work environments these days. Could be a nice change, and I reckon it's worth owning one.

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 Last