FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Editor-In-Chief

Fashionbeans New Site/Forums: Bug fixes

Hi Guys,

As you may have already noticed, we have gone under a bit of an overhaul today.

This is a thread that you can point out little bugs or things that now do not work in comparison to the old forum or site. I will be fixing any I come across today anyway, but it always helps to have people who are regulars on the forum to point out stuff that is now broken or isn't quite right.

Thanks,
    Ben
    Founder & Editor In Chief of FashionBeans.com. If you have any questions about the site or want to help out in moderating our forums, please send me a PM.

Our regular readers should check out FitnessBeans.com - our brand new website concentrating on men's health and fitness.

It will take a minute to get used to but I'm liking the new look!

I don't like "timeless style for the modern gent" though unfortunately. The fact that FB previously eschewed this cliche and recognized the importance of trends is one of the reasons why I like it. Unless you are going to change your content quite significantly to fit in with this tagline I actually think it is quite misleading.

Still love you though xoxox

Hi Ben

Site looks great! Really nice al round. But I fond a bug- clicking on some of the links in the vouchers section takes you back to the FB home page, rather than the retailer. Tried Coggles and Allsaints, both did this, some take you to the retailer though.

Cheers

Tom

Editor-In-Chief
    Thansk for feedback guys.

At the start it is all a learning process and the site (probably branding as well) will continue to evolve over next few months. Will look at trying to fix those links now though Tom.
    Founder & Editor In Chief of FashionBeans.com. If you have any questions about the site or want to help out in moderating our forums, please send me a PM.

Our regular readers should check out FitnessBeans.com - our brand new website concentrating on men's health and fitness.

Style Icon
    Looking good!
    "Last post by" on forum threads seems to be showing the thread starter rather than the person who actually posted last...on subforum view at least, it works when you're looking at the whole forum.
    I can see what Pins means as well, it's particularly incongruous when the first article below that tagline is about neon clothing...
    Last edited by Black Sheep Boy; 14-01-2013 at 02:31 PM.

Editor-In-Chief
    Thanks & Good spot! Will get onto the forum changes after I've made sure the main site is perfect.

Col

The restyled FashionBeans looks good, Ben. It took a few minutes to overcome the surprise of the overhaul but now I really like it. Much easier to navigate, looks like there are some extra sections (hairstyles?) and in general a (bang) tidy layout.

Also like the fact that the FitnessBeans section seems to have been incorporated more onto the main site. I'm getting into my muscle building at the mo so will make more use of this section.

Good overhaul.
    "Only great minds can afford simple style." (Stendhal)

Editor-In-Chief
    Thanks for the feedback. Yes, basically there has been a focus on making the site as easy to use and navigate as possible this time, so I am glad that has been the overwhelming opinion so far.

In terms of new features, we have hairstyle galleries now and the FBTV section, where we will be regularly showcasing all the best videos we get sent by the brands/press agencies etc.

We have also added a fitness section, where we will port over some of the best FitnessBeans content we have produced over the past year, but this really is a fresh start whereby we will be putting a lot more time and research into the content to bring it up to the standard you have come to expect from the fashion side.

Got plenty more features lined up for the first half of the year as well, so stick with us!

Fashionisto
    One I've noticed is me being more pedantic about consistency, though not completely a "bug", I've noticed that on the homepage if you hover over grooming for example, you have access to the drop down where it has galleries for the different hair styles. If you click on one of these, the "grooming" section of the menu bar turns white (to show you're in this section).

However whilst in this section, if you hover over it again there's no access to the drop downs, instead you have to click the main webpage to access the whole drop down experience again. It sounds silly and no it's not really necessary, though I've just always found in websites that it's nice when the menu bar always works the same as it does on the homepage when browsing various sections of the website.

Editor-In-Chief
    Hi Andy,

Thanks for the feedback.

The reason we got rid of the drop down whilst in the section was because when the 'Grooming' or 'Fashion' sections are highlighted, they have a fixed sub-navigation (directly underneath - light grey background with links) with exactly the same links found in the drop down menu located underneath the main category tab. I though having a drop-down as well as these links would be overkill and maybe even confuse.

If it continues to be a problem though it is a relatviely easy change to get the drop down working on every single page.

+ Reply to Thread