FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Style Icon

Help finding affordable suiting

We all know the idiom that cheap tailoring isn't worth the money but sometimes buying a cheaper suit is a neccessity.

For example, I've just got promoted at work so I need a new suit. Problem? I work in hospitality, so any clothes I buy are likely to be stained with food by the end of the shift.

I'm looking for a grey (or navy suit) with a reasonable amount of natural fibres, for under 150. I recently bought a navy number from M and S which fits well generally but I've decided it is too long.

Any other recomendations?
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

Trend Setter
    Getting a suit for under 150 that doesn't look like a cheap suit is hard.

Scour the sales is possibly the best advice. Ausin Reed and Lewin's regularly reduce suits to the 200 mark.

Also, see if there is a branch of Slater's near you. They do end of line stuff and have a good range of suits - some from very decent makers - at knock down prices.

I'd go for a washable suit. Working in hospitality does make you prone to spills and stains. and you can save a fair bit of cash on the old dry cleaning bills.
    Hope it helps
    Discount for cash?

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseburger View Post
    I'd go for a washable suit. Working in hospitality does make you prone to spills and stains. and you can save a fair bit of cash on the old dry cleaning bills.
    Hope it helps
    +1.

M&S used to do lots of these a few years back. 150 should get you something decent.

If you can afford to risk it then TM Lewin suits are great - you should be able to get something online for around 150, particularly if you use Quidco and a voucher code.

Trend Setter
    Zara do an entry-level range of suits for 120 (80 for the jacket and 40 for the trousers). Its a more basic line than their "higher end" suit line which is 180.

I'd say for less than 150 that would be your best bet.

Two years ago, I grabbed a suit from this line and it was 70% wool which is pretty good considering. At least you'll get nice styling too.

Wolf 150 for suit is cheap, its so expensive to buy tailored suits, if you get a tailored suit you would be literally spending twice as much just on a blazer without the trousers. Suits hurt the pocket my dude, no joke lol.

Congratulations Nath on your promotion! as always in this forum i recommend next, my cousin went in and purchased a navy suit for like 120..BARGAIN! also i bought a suit from Zara but it was a little more expensive, i spent 190 in Zara.

Also i would go with the Navy suit (rather than the grey), with a white shirt, or a light blue shirt, knit tie with a clip will give it that finishing touch. As for what colour tie, i would say a dark blue tie will go very well with light blue or white shirt and navy suit.

p.s. i know you never asked for styling advice, but i couldn't help it, LOVE SUITS! lol

I Own www.mysuave.com

I've been pleased with a couple of suits that I've got from ASOS in the past, and they always have sales too

To add to the ZARA, M&S, and ASOS recommendations (which I second), consider H & M and Topman. Also, why not River Island?

+ Reply to Thread