FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Views on Luxury fashion - 21-35 year old UK Males

Hi everyone,

I am doing my dissertation for my final year at university, around what influences UK males to purchase luxury fashion. If you could take the time to answer the questions below that would be great.

-Do sports' personalities ever influence your (luxury) fashion choices?
    -Has seeing sports' personalities such as David Beckham wearing particular fashion styles, in particular luxury fashion styles, ever resulted in you purchasing the particular branded luxury item they were wearing and why?
    -Do you ever try and emulate the "looks" of your favorite sportstars/celebrities?

Disclaimer:
    For those of you who reply, none of your details or screen name will be quoted within the body of my dissertation. You will remain anonymous, only the answer you give will be quoted.
    (Ethics No. UG/006/12)

I do follow a lot of Sports but I generally would see Sports stars in their sporting arena wearing sporting attire as opposed to luxury fashion goods. I cannot think of many Athletes within the UK which I would take fashion advice from. The only Sports star that comes to mind when thinking of fashion is David Beckham, maybe because he has his own range at H&M but I am not sure you would call that luxury?
    In terms of seeing a athlete in a certain brand and that affecting my decision to purchase, It depends. I think it would depend on the Sport they play. I admire people like Ronaldo, Rooney, Giggs in Football but I don't think I would want to follow similar fashion styles. This may be down to the whole 'Play Boy' lifestyle associated with the Sport and the whole 'Thugish' behaviour also associated. The only exception to this for me would be David Beckham as he has proven his fashion credentials in the past and he has proven his eye for fashion.
    I would try and emulate other celbrities fashion, especially people within the music industry. This may be my specific fashion choice but I prefer their look as I believe they have a certain persona and element of style that is summed up in a package consisting of their music, look and personality.

- I used to be influenced by sports' personalities but this has changed over the past few years and I no longer look towards them for inspiration towards my fashion.

- If I have ever bought a luxury fashion item because it was worn by a sports' personality then it has faded from my memory but if I was to of bought some then they would have been footwear, purely because if they promote how good they are then they must be of a certain standard.

- I have tried to emulate and pick certain styles from celebrities but not sportstars as such.

Many celebrities have influenced the type of clothes and the type of style of clothing I wear. However, I do not buy particular brands based on what celebrities are wearing as usually it's out of my price range. I usually base what I wear on the style. I have however brought a pair of nike football trainers as they were advertised by Ronaldo, I felt a would get more speed when playing and they look good too.

Sports personalities don't really influence my fashion choices. They are mainly in sportswear or suits, neither of which i wear. I do think they look good in what they are wearing, but never base my choices around that.
    No i have never been influenced into buying particular brands.
    No i dont try to emulate the looks of celebrities.

Re: Views on luxury fashion

• If you are referring to sports personalities as celebrities, then their fashion ‘choices’ might catch my attention. In the context of a men’s fashion magazine feature, advertisement (or media image of other type) then yes. Though that sports personalities’ portrayed values (and sport they are famous for) would determine how much influence; actually purchasing something as a result would be unlikely. Generally my fashion choices are inspired by trends themselves, as opposed to sports stars.
    • Certainly when I was younger, and David Beckham became renowned for being well-dressed, I can recall this resulting in a purchase of some kind. Though for me to define it as luxury would require price specifics. In short, if an item is deemed by me as an expensive purchasing decision then seeing this on a sports personality is definitely not enough for me to buy it. I prefer to seek my own ideas when looking for fashion items. That said, I recall buying a pair of Ray Ban sunglasses when I saw a famous Formula one driver wearing a pair. Largely because I liked the style, but the association with this individual did hold some weight in my decision.
    • With regards to celebrities, this is the first mention of that term. Sports stars, no – but as I said I may have in the past. Celebrities, maybe - again, I prefer to seek my own ideas. Though seeing someone I find inspirational, or particularly affluent, would likely affect my decisions or ‘look’.

THM

Fashionisto
    One question; are we talking about their style during their job or their out of work attire?

Their out of work attire

SED

With regards to consciously trying to imitate the look of a favourite sports personality, I genuinely can't think of any time in my adult life I have done this. However, despite this I feel that I am probably influenced subconsciously in popular culture by their fashion styles. I can, however say that I have never actively gone out and bought something simply because I saw a Sports Personality wearing it. A large part of this would be down to the fact that most of the clothes/accessories that these stars wear are obviously hugely expensive and copying them would be out of my price range as a student.

Fashionisto
    To be honest I don't really pay attention to athletes personal lives. I have no idea what they wear in their free time ha ha. Occasionally I'll see an ad for a designer watch, that features a sports' personality but their endorsement doesn't influence me to buy it. However if I see a athlete with a bad reputation wearing a designer item, their endorsement does sour my opinion on the brand somewhat. Sometimes I'm inspired by the designer items that actors wear though!

+ Reply to Thread