FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Fashionisto

Non Black Suit

Im looking at picking up a new suit. I already have a charcoal one, but was wondering which is better, in terms of wearability, matching with shirts etc- navy or grey?

Thanks in advance

Trend Setter
    If I were to buy a new suit, it would be navy. I find that my grey one (which I must say has some black trim that makes it a bit too formal) is unsuitable for sixth form or anything similar depending on your age.

A navy one will work great with pale blue/pale pink/yellow/khaki/cream/white shirts.
    It'll look great with a pair of chocolate brown shoes and belt too.
    "There's only one thing worse than being talked about and that's not being talked about."

Trend Setter
    Navy, or midnight blue, really should be everyone's go to suit as black has tendency to either look cheap, or have a greenish hue in artificial light.

Jay

Style Icon
    Both mid-grey and navy will work perfectly in almost any occasion, will both go with a whole host of different coloured shirts. Grey has the edge in terms of variability simply because it can be paired with black (shoes, ties, etc.) where navy can't. But just go with which you like most as they are both essential wardrobe items.

Trend Setter
    But grey is is a worse anchor, I prefer navy, even if I am being prescriptive. It is better to pair navy with browns because the orange in the brown compliments the blue, but I disagree the black and blue look terrible together.

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterShorts View Post
    But grey is is a worse anchor, I prefer navy, even if I am being prescriptive. It is better to pair navy with browns because the orange in the brown compliments the blue, but I disagree the black and blue look terrible together.
    You're entitled to your opinion, but it's wrong.

Monochromes are perfect anchors for colour. They tone colour down and enable you to wear bolder colours more convincingly. Any colour you can pair with blue, you can pair with grey. They can anchor any colour navy can and more.

And blue with black is hideous. Simple as.

Trend Setter
    I would be more inclined to agree if you are talking about a charcoal rather than light grey, as light grey has a tendancy to look washed out.

As for blue and black, I agree they don't look great together, but hidieous is strong language, I think it is niether good nor bad.

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterShorts View Post
    I would be more inclined to agree if you are talking about a charcoal rather than light grey, as light grey has a tendancy to look washed out.

As for blue and black, I agree they don't look great together, but hidieous is strong language, I think it is niether good nor bad.
    I don't recall ever mentioning light grey: I said mid-grey, which is a stone cold classic when it comes to suit colours and one of the three suit colours every refined gent should own.

Trend Setter
    Was reading this on topic article today:

Spring 2011: Tangled Up in Black And Blue | Made To Measure

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by electroRoss View Post
    Was reading this on topic article today:

Spring 2011: Tangled Up in Black And Blue | Made To Measure
    That's a very old fashioned fit for a suit that the gent in the photos is wearing. Far too 'relaxed' for my liking especially in the trousers. Which is also the case with black shoes and a navy suit: old fashioned, dull, uninspired.

Take a look around at folks in navy suits next time you're in the office/city centre/wherever. I guarantee you that on average the chaps with the brown/tan/oxblood shoes are fare more stylish with better attention to detail and better fitting suits than those wearing black shoes.

JFK pioneered the tan/brwon shoe with the navy suit. That man knew a thing or two about style.

+ Reply to Thread