FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Trend Setter

The 'going out on the town' outfit

This going out on the town outfit is something I really struggle with. I want to dress up a bit but sometimes I feel like I'm trying too hard and I will stick out, (which if I'm well dressed is for the right reasons). Most other guys tend to base their outfits around t-shirt, jeans and trainers maybe shoes.

What would you guys go for?

I would personally love to crack out a light coloured oxford shirt, navy blazer, grey chinos and brown shoes - but then I feel like I'm trying too hard.

Trend Setter
    It really depends where you're going. Fashionbeans did a couple of really good articles last year on what to wear when going out to different types of places, like the pub, to a smart bar, or to go clubbing:

http://www.fashionbeans.com/2012/how...t-on-the-town/

How To Look Good – In An Upmarket Bar Or Club | FashionBeans

How To Look Good – Down The Pub | FashionBeans

All the advice you need should be in those articles to be honest.

FashionBeans Staff
    It really depends on what you would define as a night on the town. For me a night out is dancing around till the wee hours in a grotty club, being very drunk and having a great deal of alcohol spilt on me; it just isn't worth putting in much effort.

I usually just wear a shirt (buttoned up), skinny jeans (rolled up) and my vans. I'll throw in a pair of bold socks to liven things up but nothing fancy.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by William Colman View Post
    It really depends on what you would define as a night on the town. For me a night out is dancing around till the wee hours in a grotty club, being very drunk and having a great deal of alcohol spilt on me; it just isn't worth putting in much effort.

I usually just wear a shirt (buttoned up), skinny jeans (rolled up) and my vans. I'll throw in a pair of bold socks to liven things up but nothing fancy.
    Yeah probably very similar to my nights to be honest apart from the grotty club, it's normally a little more up market but no way shoes and suits only.

Ok, so I've read the articles and they are very good for this site. I mean I would wear the neutral outfit as it's called on just a male friend's night out, however this is where I get a little confused. The girls in my social circle always put a lot of effort into what they wear when they go out so I would feel undressed in relation to what they're wearing if I was in that grey t-shirt, indigo jeans and trainers look.

FashionBeans Staff
    girls will always put more effort into their outfits; it seems to be a kind of social expectation. You should always remember however that it is much easier for a girl to dress all fancy than it is for a man. A dress is an entire outfit, whereas men have to wear a lot more clothes to dress up.

Style Icon
    If it's the pub, I'll throw on a denim jacket, some chinos and desert boots. If I 'go out' in the student sense of the word (I rarely do), it's a chambray shirt, some skinny jeans and some loafers. For cocktails or a more upmarket bar, I might pull out a blazer and some decent shoes.
    Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/NathanBeesleyMusic

SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/nathan-beesley-music

Last.fm - http://www.last.fm/user/NathanBeesley

Blog - https://boywiththethorninhisside.wordpress.com/

Fashionisto
    Don't be afraid of dressing up. Maybe not your best suit, but a blazer and even a tie can work. Everybody will have a sort of ineterest in you, I think (but it really depends on where you go, not in terms of dress codes but in terms of open mind).

You do have to care about it, imo. In these places you usually get a bit of small talk with girls.

P.S when I go out it's really all about the dating (gay etc.) so I try to look at my best and to show my personality. I feel like the best looks are saved for the fun areas of the day.

I personally usually go for slim indigo jeans, either a chambray shirt or a polo shirt. Footwear can usually be a tricky one, especially coming from Edinburgh as bouncers at certain places can be notoriously awkward when it comes to trainers. Sometimes I choose to wear smarter looking trainers in black or dark grey, but its quite hard to get good looking pairs. As others have pointed out, sometimes it's not worth wearing your best gear due to the risk of getting drinks spilled on your clothes.

What are the best types of shoes for wearing to smart/upmarket clubs? Would desert boots be too informal? what about suede shoes?

Fashionisto
    They'd look fine with the right outfit in my opinion.

I've tended to put less effort into my outfits when "going out" with my mates. Like most of you, I just throw on a pair of skinny jeans and a shirt or tee.

+ Reply to Thread