FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Shirt sleeve and Blazer question

I recently bought a Uniqlo slimfit shirt and it fits really well
    but when I wear it with my Zara blazer you can't see the shirt sleeve is that ok?
    Does the shirt sleeve have to be seen when you're wearing a shirt with blazer?

Trend Setter
    There's really no hard and fast rule about this.

Given that your jacket comes from Zara, I'm guessing its more semi-formal than ultra-formal. I that context, I wouldn't worry about it at all.These days, even at the most formal of events, I notice that many people wear jackets that don't show any cuff at all. Take a look at pictures of award ceremonies. All too often, celebrities with the money to do better, have dinner jackets that don't show even a whisper of white at the cuff - and with black tie you really do notice this. If they aren't worrying, you've really no need to.

Traditionally tailored suits and jackets will be cut so that a small amount of shirt can be seen. It isn't absolutely universal but anywhere influenced by English traditional tailoring you'll see it. Where the jacket needs to be cut to will often depend on the sort of shirt you are wearing - double-cuffs (requiring cuff links) generally fall lower than button-cuffs (which are tight around the wrist) - so a jacket that fits perfectly with one shirt might not work so well with another. With an informal jacket you are more likely to be wearing different shirts, often with different sleeve cuts and lengths. Unless you are spending some really decent money on your clothes, I wouldn't worry - I don't. It is generally accepted that odd jackets are more likely to be off-the-peg than bespoke and it is less likely to fit like a tailor made item.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by face2k View Post
    Does the shirt sleeve have to be seen when you're wearing a shirt with blazer?
    I'm pretty much of the same opinion as Wolf - it depends a bit on how you use the blazer.

If it's a formal odd jacket, like a club blazer, I think you need to show a bit of cuff. If it's a blazer that you use as a light/spring-summer jacket, I wouldn't worry about it. I often use blazers as jackets, that I take off when I come inside, and then I don't worry about the shirt cuffs.

Its a Navy cotton double breasted blazer that looks really casual

Thank you guys for answering my question

+ Reply to Thread