FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Suits and Tailoring

'Afternoon All

Got a wedding coming up this time next year, where i'm part of the grooms party (usher, best man etc). The groom has kindly offered to buy us some suits for it, and has just found some of his choosing in a sale.

My question is this; what size should i go for? I know what size i am and what fits, but what could change in the space of a year? If i asked for a size up then would it be easy for a tailor to bring in to fit me come next summer? And would it drastically alter the shape of the suit? (Alternatively, what would happen if i bought my own size now and got larger over the year, would it be able to be tailored larger?)

Any help appreciated, cheers!

Nat

Style Icon
    Buy a suit that fits and stop eating pies!

Sizing up a suit is wrong. Unless the cut of the suit is skinny and you can't put your arms in, you should stick with your own size. You will still be able to go in your suit even if you gain 15 pounds (depending on your current weight).

Trend Setter
    Essentially, always buy your own size, as others have said.

What you need is a suit jacket is one that fits you properly across the shoulders. Buy a size up and it might be so loose it drowns you. Shoulder size is the one thing that shouldn't vary too much (unless you are intending to start body building) but it is very difficult for a tailor to alter.

Unless the jacket is ultra slim cut (and some are cut very narrow these days, so it might be an issue) most suit jackets are cut to accommodate a wider waist than a lot of men need. I know I sometimes look at getting mine taken in slightly to add more of a nipped waist. Most jackets should have enough cloth in them that they can be let out a little too.

Similarly, most trousers will have just enough cloth to be slightly let in or out.

I agree in going for above your size, but only where possible. With your shirt for example, you can afford to get one where the sleeves hang a little loose, and if you do decide they're too long, rather than get a tailor your can always go old school with an armband or something like that.

cheers for all the replies folks! looks for sure that buying my true size is best, so that's what i'll look for in the fittings! i'm sure i'll be back on here in the future to discuss ways of subtly upstaging my outfit compared to others

+ Reply to Thread