FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

No Tie or Bow Tie?

Need to gauge peoples opinion on this one. Going to a pretty informal wedding, invite says wear whatever you feel comfortable in. My outfit of choice so far is a pair of slim fit tobacco chinos, brown boat shoes and a white oxford button down shirt. Until now I was not going to wear a tie, but just recently I'm toying with the idea of a bow tie to top the outfit off as i want to add a little something to it. What are peoples opinions on this? Too much? Never had the nerve to wear something like this before, but have been getting braver fashion-wise, so feel that i would be happy to give it a go now.

Thanks in advance.

Trend Setter
    In some ways those sorts of invites are an opportunity to try stuff out I think. Though, personally I would not wear a tie without a jacket. I'd suggest adding a navy blazer to sharpen the outfit up, and then you can see how you feel about the bow tie? I've never worn a bow tie, so am not sure, but will they work with a button down collar? I'd also swap the boat shoes for some loafers, perhaps brown suede? Of course all this depends on what you have in your wardrobe and what your budget is.

Trend Setter
    I'd go for the bow tie! I wore this bow tie to the last fancy-but-no-suit events and it was a hit. I do believe you can pair a bow tie with a button down collar, as long as it isn't a shiny bow tie, meant to go with a suit.

Scotch & Soda The Worker Grey Bow Tie | Accessories | Masdings.com

I wore it with a navy blazer, beige chino's light brown shoes and belt and a light blue shirt. Maybe this picture could help you imagine a style:

Last edited by sam1234; 23-08-2013 at 03:46 PM.

Trend Setter
    The outfit could work too if you opt not to wear a tie/bow tie and simply add a classic navy blazer on top. Leave the top two buttons on your shirt undone and the rest should be all right.

Remember, people will go in what they're comfortable in, so I think a bow tie could be a bit over the top? (Still though, a wedding without any form of tie is strange to me)

Trend Setter
    Try a bow tie on and see how you feel about it. If you are going to wear one, I'd definitely pair it with a jacket though.

Bow tie alone without a jacket is hard to pull off. You might, if you wear nerdy glasses with extremely jelled hair. If you are going to try them, and be sure to never buy pre-done bow ties. They look ugly. I would stick with classic colours too, such as grey or blue ones. Because your outfit that you chose to wear is quite informal, I do not recommend a bow tie. It will make you are trying too hard.

+ Reply to Thread