FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

What do you think of this bag

i am starting a new job in a law firm(not a lawyer, hoping to one day become one). it is a very professional firm in NYC so i need a really nice leather bag. My old no-name-i-forgot-it-because-it-ripped-off laptop bag won't cut it in this office. There is a new briefcase / luggage store opened up in the next town over in Huntington long island. It is called j p marcellino bag company they make all their bags in house by hand and do custom work.

i went in the store the other day and seen the bag below link. Any opinions? is it too much (in terms of flash) for a non lawyer, - just some guy answering phones and shuffling papers for the real mucky mucks. i don't want people to think im trying to be "big time", but i also want to make a real professional

They call it the Honen 480
    Honen 478 by The JP Marcellino Bag Co.

It is black English bridle leather with a really nice cast nickel lock and a back newspaper pocket.

Fashionisto
    I personally think it's alright as in not being too flashy though the big white nickel lock isn't really to my liking. I was in finance in NYC and from my observation, as long as your stuff isn't plastered all over with logos, people don't really pay attention. Do you really like JP Marcellino? Because I'm sure you can get a great quality briefcase for slightly less than $650.

i totally agree with the flashy logos on anything honestly. I have noticed in life that the genuinely good stuff has very small logos or completely hidden. The item speaks for itself, i think this is why i like these JPM bags. i noticed that they changed the price on that bag to $550. I called up and they said that the basic version doesn't come with a back news paper pocket so they lowered the listing and removed the pocket.

I really like the Swaine bags from England, but their prices are insane and than toss in the import fees, its out of my price range. Plus ive been seeing some bad reviews on style forum lately. On the other hand JP has got some good reviews and either way, the store is not that far so i can actually see the bags. Ive been working on a briefcase with JP, he is working within my price range, it is actually a really good deal compared to how he hand makes them and the leather quality he uses. He actually hand stitches the entire bag and uses all hermann oak tanned English bridle. i know this is very good leather because my friends mother has a $5k saddle made from this leather.

i agree i think that nickel lock might be too flashy for my environment, im actually going with a 2 front buckle strap briefcase. it is like this bag in havana with no stitching on the straps.

+ Reply to Thread