FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

A bit confused, a bit torn

Hello all! I guess since I'm a newbie here, I'll do a bit of an introduction. Not only am I a newbie here, I'm also quite a newbie to the fashion world. I, strangely enough, got into it through fragrances (if anyone needs help in regard to fragrances then let me know). I was familiar with all the big names like Gucci, Armani, Prada, etc. because of the perfumes I tried from them. Eventually I started looking into the fashion side of things, and I did think it was cool, but it was when I started seeing street fashion blogs and such that I got excited. I realized it wasn't relegated to the runway and that it wasn't all insanely expensive. Living in farm territory also keeps me insulated from the outside world and any semblance of fashion. Around here it's all about utility.

Now, on to my predicament.

Now that I have an actual income, I can afford actual clothing. Of course, I know it's all about getting the staples and pieces that can be used in a variety of ways. That much I figured out. After seeing all kinds of pieces and outfits though, I've figured out the stuff I like is so disparate. There's stuff like this:

But then I also enjoy stuff like this:

I guess I'm just worried about my wardrobe going in two directions. Maybe I'm actually two different people.

Fashionisto
    I wouldn't be too worried about having a 'style' at the moment that will eventually come to you.

Just try different things and you will eventually filter out what you thought you liked to what you actually like.

Keep it simple, don't try too much at first but never rule anything out.

Fashionisto
    Im like you. My taste so to speak, in regards to the direction in which my style seems to point towards, alters, changes and is skewed from day to day.

Some days I fancy purchasing a warm bulky parka, the next day I will work towards purchasing more monochromatic clothing, and pushing my style in that direction.

I guess that may just be what finding which 'style' is 'best' for yourself is all about. Building your wardrobe in all sorts of directions and regarding all sorts of influences / inspirations is probably a beneficial factor in finding your 'style' personally.

A wardrobe heading in several different directions style wise holds no boundaries for you to explore yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by James Mortimer View Post
    I wouldn't be too worried about having a 'style' at the moment that will eventually come to you.

Just try different things and you will eventually filter out what you thought you liked to what you actually like.

Keep it simple, don't try too much at first but never rule anything out.
    Thanks for the advice! That's what I intend to do. I'm gonna try and get a variety of things, but I intend to not get too many pieces that are too utilitarian. As in, pieces that would only work a handful of times. That can come later.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanWalker View Post
    Im like you. My taste so to speak, in regards to the direction in which my style seems to point towards, alters, changes and is skewed from day to day.

Some days I fancy purchasing a warm bulky parka, the next day I will work towards purchasing more monochromatic clothing, and pushing my style in that direction.

I guess that may just be what finding which 'style' is 'best' for yourself is all about. Building your wardrobe in all sorts of directions and regarding all sorts of influences / inspirations is probably a beneficial factor in finding your 'style' personally.

A wardrobe heading in several different directions style wise holds no boundaries for you to explore yourself.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one! I definitely agree that it will help me figure out what my true style is. It's not all that surprising now that I think about it, considering my taste in music is also all over the place.

+ Reply to Thread