FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Need To know what to Wear to Formal/Prom

Hey guys first post on the forum so still consider myself a major rookie

So here's the problem, I have a year 10 formal coming up and I don't know what to wear. Im thinking of getting it tailor made. Any suggestions would help. I want to be the eye turner and hopeful catch the eyes of a special someone. Thanks

Nat

Style Icon
    Year 10? As in 15 years old? Forget tailor made mate. You're still growing. Unless you are really minted. In whcih case, go for it!

What's your budget for the whole outfit (inc shirt, shoes, tie, accessories etc)?

I dont want to say "minted" but ive saved up quite a bit. Its mostly styling tips.

Nat

Style Icon
    If it's your own money, and you haven't stopped growing, then definitely think twice about made-to-measure or bespoke. For anything decent, you are looking at big money. It's not just your body that will change. Your personal style will too, so it might not be a decent investment at this stage.

What will set you apart is getting something half decent that fits you well, then styling it properly. So go round a load of high street and tailoring shops, and try on a range of suits. Try to find one that fits perfectly on the shoulder (snug, but not too tight, doesn't leave shoulder dimples or collar gap), and fairly well through the body. The most important thing is the shoulders, as you can get the waist taken in by a tailor.

Same goes for the trousers. Get something that fits on the waist. As long as the fit through the leg isn't too bad, this also can be tweaked by tailor.

What are you thinking of colour wise? For a formal, you would normally go dark, but I don't think you need to be restricted too much, especially at your age.

All your mates will go grey, so why not navy - classy, timeless colour, and can be accessorised really well. White shirt with a colour bar, pale pink tie, white pocket square, well-polished brown derbies or oxfords. Then rock the shit out of it.

Check these links about fit...
    Garment Doctor Series: Jacket Collar Gap | TSBmen
    Garment Doctor Series: Pocket Flare | TSBmen

And a couple about alterations....
    Get To Know Your Tailor | TSBmen - Part 2
    Men’s Fashion Basics – Part 93 – What Tailoring A Suit Can Do For You | FashionBeans

Hope that's helpful. Sure others will chip in too, especially when you come back for styling tips.

All the best.

Thanks for the tips. So I'm thinking dark purple shirt and an orange pocket square to contrast with the purple. Comments?

Nat

Style Icon
    How re-usable is that though? Would buy something more classic if I was you. You want to stand out by having something good quality, that fits well, and is styled impeccably, not by being "wacky". No problem with dressing young (because you are), but don't be gimmicky, you get me?

Fashionisto
    I agree with Nat. I'd go for a slim and well fitted navy suit and white shirt. Will look great and will stand out as I expect most will buy from Next and won't fit them properly.

Alright looks like im going with a navy suit then. Thanks. Any tips on ties and pocket squares?

Nat

Style Icon
    Nothing wrong with a suit from Next, mind, if it fits well, with some alterations.

In terms of shirts/ties/squares, Navy is a good colour to match with. Think lighter blues, white, light pinks, burgundy.

White shirt with burgundy tie is a classic combo, but might be a bit "office wear".

In terms of accessories, have fun but don't overdo it. E.g. if you opted for a collar bar, then maybe forgo the tie bar, and vice versa.

Also, don't get too "matchy". Wear a contrasting or complementing pocket square, or a white one to match the shirt, rather than getting one that exactly matches your tie. that can look a bit 80s.

Think about your socks too. And decent shoes. Little finishes touches like that can make or ruin an outfit.

Good luck. I expect some bloody pics after this too! ;-)

Trend Setter
    With this sort of thing the question you want to ask is 'do I want an outfit I'll look back with pride in a few years as still stylish or do I want an outfit that was great fun (even if with the benefit of hindsight I'd never wear it now)?'

If you are going for a look that in ten years time you still think was stylish then go for something pretty timeless and elegant - crisp white shirt, solid silk tie, white linen pocket square. If you want a one off explosion go for your purple shirt with whatever you want.

I would go for something that I thought timeless - but then I'm more than twice your age now. When younger I would have worn things that I'd blush at now. That's part of the point of being young.

Having said that, I'd still advise something pretty paired back and elegant. I've always liked that style even at your age. Think of black tie and dinner jackets - it is the contrast of black and white that makes the look. Too much colour and pattern and its not so striking. SImilarly, think of Connery's Bond - simple well put together suits with a limited colour palate. But remember, these events are there so that you can have fun, so make sure you do.

+ Reply to Thread