FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Opinions on Scotch & Soda quilted bomber jacket?

Hey all,

Been reading the articles and forums on FB but finally joined to post a question. I recently bought a Scotch & Soda nylon bomber through Zappos (pics below), and I think I got a pretty good deal. But I wanted to get some opinions from you guys on the jacket and the brand itself, since I'm not too familiar with it. Overall, what is Scotch & Soda's quality like? I think I read somewhere that Daniel Craig wore their jeans in The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and liked them so much he kept them.

Fit-wise the jacket seems good; you guys in the UK and Europe know how to design a jacket much better than we do in the States. At around 5'10" and 150-155 lb., a medium fits me damn near perfect, which is a tempting enough reason to keep the jacket in and of itself. But I'm curious as to what you guys think of the overall look/design. One downside is that it's all polyester, and has a bit of "swishy" sound to it, like George Costanza's pants from that Seinfeld episode. Would have liked a treated cotton or even just a softer polyester, but I guess that would drive up the price (got it on sale for $110 USD). Also, if S&S isn't a good buy, what other midweight fall jackets are out there for under $150 USD and easily available in the US?

I was trying to find a good photo, but Zappos is sold out, so the only real image of the jacket I could find is this: . If the image doesn't work, the link is here: Quilted Nylon Bomber Jacket - Scotch & Soda - Polyvore. You can also see some pics here (it's the olive-colored jacket in the top row worn by the guy with the striped henley).

Sorry this got a bit long, and thanks for any help in advance!

Fashionisto
    Scotch and Soda makes some nice clothing in my opinion. As long as you like the jacket then I certainly wouldn't be too concerned about what brand it is. I haven't seen that jacket in real life so can't comment on the quality but as long as there are no loose threads and the finish seems good then keep it! I like the look of it since its is a slightly different take on the traditional bomber jacket, combining more of a quilted heritage look with the traditional bomber jacket style. I'm fairly sure that no one on here can tell you if you should keep it or not, that decision would have to come down to you! There's so many quilted jackets around now that it would be almost impossible to suggest another one!

Fashionisto
    Did you end up ordering it because when it says sold out. Scotch & Soda makes good jacket.
    Blog: http://theconfuseddasher.com
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/confuseddasher
    Facbook: https://www.facebook.com/theconfuseddasher

Thanks for the info guys. Yeah I did order it, just deciding whether to keep it.

I'm not concerned so much with brand, label, etc. as with quality and simplicity, and Scotch & Soda seems to have a good reputation. I agree with what Jamie said about the hybrid of bomber and quilted styles...I think this one strikes that nice balance of subtle but not boring, and standing out without being showy. I've been searching for the ideal fall jacket for a long time, and this may be the closest I've come, at least for my price range.

But still, maybe I can get some input from you guys before I call off the search haha. Here's basically what I'm looking for in the "ideal" fall jacket, if it in fact exists:

- Midweight feel with some kind of lining or insulation to deal with the east-coast US chill...sort of similar to London weather in November. Should strike that middle ground between spring raincoat and heavy winter coat.
    - A nice close--but not restrictive--fit with higher armholes. Something I can throw over a t-shirt without it being too baggy (something along the lines of Philip Winchester and Sullivan Stapleton in Strike Back) but still have just enough room to layer over a sweater. Preferably hitting at the waist or hip instead of lower.
    - Preferably rugged cotton, but open to synthetic as long as it's not that shiny look.
    - Preferably mockneck collar (I like how the one I bought went with a ribbed collar instead of polyester).
    - Open to different styles such as military, moto, hunting, utility, bomber, but leaning against field jackets after my long search...don't think I can find one that works for me. Plus it seems field jackets are extremely ubiquitous these days. Plus I bought a very cheap field jacket earlier this year that isn't really ideal, so I'm trying to branch out.
    - Again, price around $150 USD or less.

Sorry again for the length! I hope this list is specific enough; I look forward to seeing any options I may have missed. Also, anyone own this one: H.E.BY MANGO - CLOTHING - Jackets - Waterproof husky jacket? Looks pretty good, but it's not available near me, so I can't see it in person.

Finally, just wanted to say I read a recent thread on here in which one member was going through some serious questions, and a ton of people posted to help out and provide advice. Just thought that was very cool and very classy, and pretty rare on the web these days. Cheers.

Looks like a nice jacket man, quilted jackets / bombers are supposed to be polyester so all good imo

One thing I realized as I looked at the jackets I own is that only my heavy winter coat has a hood. For the rest of my jackets, I'm completely dependent on having an umbrella. Hence I really think any new jacket I invest in should be rainproof and have a hood (which for me has to be either a stowable or removable hood...don't really like the hoodie look). Unfortunately, a lack of any kind of hood is a big strike against the Scotch & Soda bomber.

Now I know I said earlier that I was leaning against field jackets, but I saw this one at Uniqlo and it seemed pretty nice: *MEN FIELD BLOUSONE * - UNIQLO. Anyone out there have experience with this jacket, or any of Uniqlo's outerwear? How is the quality? I searched the forums but didn't find too much.

Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread