FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 ... Last

Clothes You Would NEVER Be Seen In?

Alright everyone!

My friends have started investing time in what they wear, which is great news for me, as I don't seem as out of place!

However, it's come to my attention that they still go "I could never wear anything like that/I could'nt pull it off/etc" when looking at different pieces of clothing, styles and fits.

I don't feel as limited as that anymore. When I'm looking for clothes, nothing particularly screams 'this is too extreme for you'. I feel as if I could fit anything I liked the look of into my wardrobe, whereas one of my mates told me he'd never wear jeans as slim as I do, because he says it wouldn't look right on him (even though he is quite skinny).

It's all to do with confidence I guess, you will not be able to 'pull something off' if you don't look completely comfortable wearing it.

Don't get me wrong, I do still wouldn't touch a lot of pieces, but that is because I either think they look silly or wouldn't feel comfortable to wear.
    I don't think I would ever buy a pair of jeans/trousers/chinos/etc if they were anything baggier than slim fitting again, but that is only because I think my outfit looks a lot better tailored to my body shape. I'm the same with footwear, I wouldn't wear a pair of trainers at any other time than playing sports, but that's just because I don't feel they fit in with the rest of my wardrobe.

Here are some of mine:

-Russel Brand-fitting jeans
    -Relaxed/baggy bottoms
    -Drop crotch anything
    -Hooded shirts
    -Trainers
    -Sandals (weird one, but it's true. I'm always aware that they're on my feet, and the straps are so annoying.)

So I'm asking, do any of you have those grey areas of fashion that you would never venture into? Or would you all happily go out in a manskirt?
    Sometimes I write my signature really fast when I have to sign for a parcel, because I feel like the delivery man is in a hurry to deliver the next one and I am keeping him waiting. But when I get to write my signature on paper, I take my time with it so the person will think "Wow that is a really great signature".

Trend Setter
    Completely with you on the drop crotch and hooded shirts. Appalling.
    I'd add anything with garish, heavy branding and anything by Jack Wills, Abercrombie and Fitch, Superdry, Gio goi (or whatever it is)
    Spray on jeans/jeggings
    Those GODAWFUL elasticated cuffed jeans/chinos
    Hooded leather jackets

Anything Drop Crotch
    Anything with MASSIVE BRANDING all over it,
    Jeggings and jeans which aren't denim but more elastic....
    Hooded Shirts

I'm sure there is more but those are from the top of my head. A lot of these things are quite unuual as most people my age (17) wear them.
    I would also not wear a trench coat yet, because I do not think I am old/ fully built enough to wear them, but I do intend to in future.

Jay

Style Icon
    My 'I'd rather die than wear it' list (unless for the use it was intended for):

Anything at all that is branded or carries a logo of any kind.
    Hooded tops
    Hi-top trainers
    Drop crotch/cuffed trousers
    Snoods
    Peaked caps
    Sweatpants
    Fleeces
    Gilets
    Tracksuits
    White sports socks
    Cargo shorts/board shorts
    Flip-flops
    Wrap around sunglasses
    Skin tight or overly baggy clothing

Fashionisto
    Anything by Jack wills and those Ralph Lauren polos with the excessively large logo on it.

Sam

Style Icon
    Am I missing something about Jack Wills? I know it's worn by a lot of clueless teenagers and that it makes some dreadful sweats and T shirts, but on what grounds would you dismiss something like this?
    The Enbrook Blazer | Jack Wills Is the fit exceedingly poor? Is it made of poor wool? Badly made? I know the buttons are a ways up the jacket but besides the fact that it's personal preference, Aubin and Wills share that quirk, and nobody seems to have any issues with them. Fill me in, I quite like the look of that jacket.

Personally I do detest Abfitch and Hollister with some intensity - boring, Americanised garbage.
    My pet hate is the snood. A bizarre scarf substitute for the exceedingly lazy. I also can't stand nylon so I won't wear it. Tech fabrics in general, actually.

The more interesting stuff, I think, is the stuff which, despite not necessarily being something you consider a faux pas, you still don't wanna wear. I find curved and cutaway collars deplorable. The shawl lapel, while fetching to look at, is also not something I've ever felt particularly suave in. A youthful love of cords has also put me off them, though perhaps little Sam was a cut ahead of big Sam. And finally, V neck tees, although that's simply because they don't suit me (I have a long enough neck to start with)

Fashionisto
    - Hi-Tops
    - A&F/Hollister clothing.
    - Camouflage cargo shorts.
    - The thick rimmed non prescription geek glasses with clear lenses.
    - Hooded shirts, with/without popper buttons.
    - Jeans with large logos on the pockets.
    - Those Superdry hoodies with massive drawstrings and fleece lined hoods.
    - Logo tees from Topman eg. "Nice Pussy", "Bang Tidy".

River Island BIG tongued Hi-Tops.
    Stupidly large scoop necked tshirts.
    Jeans with branding plastered down the side.
    Oversized beanies.
    Spray on skinny jeans.
    Snoods.
    Slogan thirts.
    Cuffed jeans/chinos.
    Ruffle neck tshirts.
    Jeans manufactured with rips in them.

Mostly things that River Island sell en masse.

Jay

Style Icon
    I could add masses to my list, but thinking about it today, I hate zips. I literally loathe them and own absolutely no items of clothing (except a tracksuit top for jogging and suit trousers) with zips in them. I'll choose something with buttons every time if I can. A zip feels cheaper, half arsed and lazy somehow.

I have no rationale for this hatred, but it goes deep.

I'm sure at some point people would say everyone has their own style, but there are limits.

My Two Cents :

Hawaiian Shirts
    Ed Hardy
    Leather Trousers
    Novelty Socks
    Heavily Branded (seems popular)
    Tie Dye
    Wearing sports clothes outside sports events or gyms!

+ Reply to Thread
1 2 3 ... Last