FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

New fashionable clothes?

Hi i'm 19 and i've always worn sort of skater clothes baggie tees spray on jeans ect. i mainly wear designer hoodies and tees however i'm looking to start wearing something more fashionable for men rather then looking like a young teenager for which the look is way too oversaturated in my area. i only own 3 pairs of jeans that i wear 2 spray on topman jeans one black one blue for which i'm not too keen on the spray on fit anymore tbh and a pair of slim fit black zara chords. for shoes i mainly wear vans as i like the fit of them and i have 2 rare golf wang x vans syndicates that im quite keen on wearing, a pair of red new balance 574's and a pair of nike safaris. for christmas this year i've bought a pair of suede wolf colour desert boots from clarks that i think look pretty cool but i'm not sure what to wear them with.
    so basically im looking for some new clothes that will look good but also stand out quite a bit without looking stupid im mainly focused on the top upper body half as i barely own any shirts cause im quite thin and i just dont think they look good on me. i'm also looking for a nice pair of indigo denim slim fit jeans without spending too much that will last as i hate spending too much.. finally i'm also part italian so i'd really like to tap into that super fashionable Italian men trend however im not sure what to wear to dress that way and what to wear. any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Adam.

Trend Setter
    If you want a load of items that will fit with what you already own just go with plain shirts and t-shirts. Go for quality and fit over branding. Simplicity is the key letting the items talk through the cut rather than needing anything more to stand out. This is particularly key if you want to look remotely Italian in style. Think white and navy round neck t-shirts plus white, blue and pink shirts, preferably Oxford cloth. You can then buy a few plain coloured jumpers and cardigans too. Navy and grey in particular go with anything. Building this kind of wardrobe allows you to throw on nearly anything with anything else and you can still look good. It's the core of what I own cos I leave for work at 6 something AM and am too lazy to spend time getting ready. People still think you've made some effort and compliment you though. Once you have these key pieces you can then invest in some more interesting stuff but short-term I'd suggest those items as a core to base things around.

Thanks for the advice, do you have any idea of good brands for jeans and trousers oh and you said plain tees do you have any idea where I good buy these in good quality? I've hhad topman in the past but they stretched horribly.. Thanks!

Trend Setter
    Look no further than American Apparel for plain t-shirts! I love them!

Trend Setter
    Jeans very much depend on the style and type of denim you want. T-shirts depend on budget. If you can afford it APC or Sunspel do great basics. If you can't American Apparel is good. For shirts I personally love Paul Smith. Imagine you can get some half price in the January sales. ASOS had 30% off yesterday including their Oxford shirts so imagine they offer even bigger discounts after next week.

Trend Setter
    Vans and skinny jeans look cool together and are very easy to jazz up. If you want to move away from the skater look, then ditch the baggy tees and go for some slimmer fitting ones and then start layering - try checked and denim shirts and add a lightweight scarf to these. Both of these will look good with an unstructured blazer (no shoulder pads!) or a nice pea coat for winter.

If you can afford to, invest in decent quality jeans like Diesel. A cheaper alternative (as I recently discovered) would be some of the better quality All Saints jeans. They will stand you in good stead and last season after season. Everything else, you can get for a reasonable price from the likes of ASOS - just keep an eye out for the sales and the promo codes on here. You should be able to get a lot from brands like Selected, Nudie, River Island etc at reasonable prices in the sales.

Then accessorize - gloves, hats, scarves - all of these will add a bit of style.. you can even match them to the colour of your Vans for a but of italian style.

That's just my tuppence worth - everyone's opinion will be different! And best of luck!

I've always thought american apparell tees were stupidly overpriced for what they are just plain tees.. i basically only really like slim fit jeans at the moment so are there any good value for money quality brands for jeans out there you guys could suggest. Basically the next time i get paid i'm probably going to have about 100 left after buying christmas presents.. What would you guys suggest would be the number one thing to buy first to work on in order to look good?
    thanks again.

Trend Setter
    Think with plain t-shirts is you need quality for them to look good standing alone cos there's nothing else for people to notice. If it fits perfectly, is well cut, holds its colour etc it'll look great. If it doesn't hold shape, fades etc people will think you look like a tramp. It's one of those items you need to pay a little more for if you want to wear it as your main outer layer. I find you can get away with bad quality printed t-shirts much easier as the designers can take people's eyes away from the small details. For jeans I'd go with Nudies. They have tons of different slim cuts and designs. Best to go to a shop and try them all on and see which fit your build rather than buying online.

See this is the problem with living where i live, i live in derby and there is barely any good shops here we don't have an american apparell we just have most of the casual shops like primark, river island, topman, zara ect. I usually buy my jeans from topman however i'm a bit fed up of looking like everyone else wearing exactly the same clothes. So would you have any suggestions for reasonably priced slim fit jeans like not talking 100 plus which is what a lot of the designer jeans are including Nudie. just nice looking jeans and clothes that would be easy to get without spending too much and breaking a massive budget? I usually buy offline off shops like urbanindustry for my Tees however the problem is you can't try them on at all so you have no idea of the fit and you just kind of have to hope they will fit well as there isn't much else you can do. :/

Trend Setter
    look for an online store that does free returns, they you can buy and send back as much as you want until you get the size or fit correct.

+ Reply to Thread