FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Downsizing a wardrobe and change of style

Hey all,

Lately i've been selling a lot of my stuff. I've been interested in men's fashion for almost 2 years now and i still like reading about them. However i realized i'm buying too much stuff and hardly wearing them.

At work, i'm supposed to wear smart casual or smart but most of the time i just go along with smart since it feels like it is easier tbh. So the only times i wear casual wear is fridays and weekend. This is one of the reasons i decided to sell most of my clothes.

Also i realized i copy a lot of guys(some from the forums). Which causes different type of styles all the time. Not sure if its a bad thing, but i like the idea of having a certain sense of style.

Some of the articles here inspired me as well. I mean what is the point of having tons of clothes if you aren't gonna wear them as much, or they don't suit you as well as you imagined or you have no idea how to combine them etc.. So having a minimal but functional wardrobe seems like a good idea to me(at the moment,i might regret in the future).

I've sorted out some "no"s as well. For example i stopped wearing hoodies outside. I still wear them at home though. I cant seem to combine chinos as well so stopped wearing them as well. There are a few more but i don't wanna take too much space. This might be related to my age-which is 29- and my nearing wedding(which is gonna be at late summer).

Another thing is, it is too much time&money consuming. Don't get me wrong, i still read mens fashion sites daily(i check fashionbeans like 5 times a day). But whenever i say to myself "ok i'm done for a year" i always see some clothes i really want to buy. And i usually end up buying them.

I've come to appreciate brands like He by Mango and Massimo Dutti a lot. But i'm sure lets say 10 years later they will change as well. But for the time i feel like they are directed to my kind of age men.

This is also another dilemma for me. For example when is the time to stop wearing skinny jeans? I'm sure some will say "dress however the way you want it" but i think one should always consider how he's viewed by others(this alone might create a different thread )

Now i have like 3 suits, 6 jeans, 10 smart shirt,20 casual shirt(some for summer some for winter), 7-8 knitwear and some other basics like blazers, tees and so. It is a boring wardrobe now i know, but i'm trying to make a transition and also keep the numbers like this. I feel like i don't have to own much, i just need just enough to wear and when they are done, get rid of them.

What do you think? Do you think you own too much? Is it an obsession for you? Do you have the style you have 5 years ago? I'm also curious about your ages your style preferences.

And sorry for the long post and bad english. This is a fantastic forum. I just wanna hear about people's opinions.

FashionBeans Staff
    My wardrobe is pretty damn small, I have one 1m clothes rail and a chest of draws. I don't think you need a vast wardrobe because, as you say yourself, you don't wear that much of it. If you work in a suit or particular uniform then you aren't going to be wearing your own clothes for 5 days of the week so it isn't necessary to own lots of clothes.

I will only buy clothes that I need, when I need them, very little of what I buy is based on what I fancy at the time; it is either a purchase to improve one section of my wardrobe (such as investing in new oxford shirts, because I don't have that many and one of them is getting quite old) or by totally replacing something because its come to the end of its life;I currently need to replace two pairs of trainers, a pair of jeans and my backpack simply because they're falling apart.

I have neither the space, nor the money to have a big wardrobe so I make do with what I've got.

Nat

Style Icon
    Vitor, sounds like you're on the right track with building a solid basic wardrobe.

There are lots of questions in there, and you will get a wide range of answers on here, which is one of the cool things about the forum.

- My wardborbe isn't massive, but I am fairly confident that I have the basics well-covered. What I'm trying to do now is find ways of refining that and making it more interesting - more colour, more texture, better accessories, finding interesting/unexpected combinations.

- You raise a really interesting question about whether you should have "a style" or not. I would say "it depends". If that's what you want then go for it. I think there's something really cool about carving out a style that people will immediately recognise as yours. On the other hand, some guys on here are much more versatile. Whatever works for you! For what it's worth, I would say I lean towards the former.

- You mention HE Mango and Massimo Dutti. These are probably my two favourite stores right now, and I rarely see a look in their lookbooks that I wouldn't wear. I find MD on the expensive side. Mango are a bit more affordable, and have great sales.

- I have stopped buying things on impulse now (unless it's a really great unexpected item), as I was buying stuff and just not wearing it. I now have a bit more of an analytical approach, and have a wish list, filling in weak areas of my wardrobe. But then I don't have a massive clothes budget. If I had more money, I would buy whatever I liked!

- Overall, just do you. That's the best advice. Wear what you want, what you feel comfortable in, and what reflects your personality. Just by the fact that you are giving this some thought, you will look better than 90% of men out there. Don't be afraid to take risks and make mistakes too. It's only clothes! And it's a good way of learning what works for you. Don't be scared to post stuff up here too. This is a good, pretty positive forum.

Good luck.

Trend Setter
    My wardrobe is fairly small, I think, and I use everything I own. I don't have room for stuff I don't use, and clean stuff out on a regular basis - usually a couple of times every year - based on not using them any more, or because they're worn out. What I don't use, I sell or give away.

Like Colman, I almost exclusively buy what I need, and I'm very picky with what I get. I'm on a tight budget, and I hate wasting my resources.

Roughly, my wardrobe consists of:
    Three suits - one black, one dark grey with subtle check pattern, one dark with thin pin stripe). I rarely wear suits, so it's not a priority, though I love suits.
    A handful blazers, usually worn as outwear in spring and fall.
    About five chinos, two blue jeans, one pair grey jeans, one pair of cords, a couple of smart trousers. A couple of beat up jeans and wool trousers, for use at home or when out playing with the kids.
    A dozen jumpers and cardigans - most plain v-necks for wear with shirts and ties, a couple of statement jumpers with patterns.
    A lot of t-shirts - both plain, and with prints (mainly because I used to wear a lot of band t-shirts in my 20s, and they're still not worn out), which I only ever use around the house.
    A drawer full of socks - you can never get too many socks, in various patterns, colours, textures and thickness.
    Maybe two dozen ties.
    A dozen shirts - mostly check shirts, because I rarely wear smart shirts, and when I do they're usually white (of which I have four, with different collar types and fabrics).

There's the gist of it. The only thing I sometimes go a bit mad for are shoes, but I still don't own that many shoes all in all.

I do have the same style as I did five years ago, but that was about the time I started to smarten up my style. I think I'll have about the same style in five years. I'm 33, and prefer a preppy, smart casual dress style, with a touch of Mod. At lest that's what I aim for. I'm fairly content with what I've got, but that doesn't stop me from lusting after more, or new things to add.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Vitor, sounds like you're on the right track with building a solid basic wardrobe.

There are lots of questions in there, and you will get a wide range of answers on here, which is one of the cool things about the forum.

- My wardborbe isn't massive, but I am fairly confident that I have the basics well-covered. What I'm trying to do now is find ways of refining that and making it more interesting - more colour, more texture, better accessories, finding interesting/unexpected combinations.

- You raise a really interesting question about whether you should have "a style" or not. I would say "it depends". If that's what you want then go for it. I think there's something really cool about carving out a style that people will immediately recognise as yours. On the other hand, some guys on here are much more versatile. Whatever works for you! For what it's worth, I would say I lean towards the former.

- You mention HE Mango and Massimo Dutti. These are probably my two favourite stores right now, and I rarely see a look in their lookbooks that I wouldn't wear. I find MD on the expensive side. Mango are a bit more affordable, and have great sales.

- I have stopped buying things on impulse now (unless it's a really great unexpected item), as I was buying stuff and just not wearing it. I now have a bit more of an analytical approach, and have a wish list, filling in weak areas of my wardrobe. But then I don't have a massive clothes budget. If I had more money, I would buy whatever I liked!

- Overall, just do you. That's the best advice. Wear what you want, what you feel comfortable in, and what reflects your personality. Just by the fact that you are giving this some thought, you will look better than 90% of men out there. Don't be afraid to take risks and make mistakes too. It's only clothes! And it's a good way of learning what works for you. Don't be scared to post stuff up here too. This is a good, pretty positive forum.

Good luck.
    This is me. I have a wish list, where i can see objectively where the weaknesses in my wardrobe are. E.g. I'm short on footwear, jackets and crew/V jumpers.

I will keep the list going and buy things off it, and add to it. This allows me to only buy stuff i need. Sure there are some things i will see and indulge on but i really don't go looking for stuff i don't need. If you don't know its there you can't buy it. Mango and MD are the ones for me!

I've only in the last 6-8 months starting to seriously consider style (beyond the normal Next/Topman/River Island stuff) and it takes time. I've been buying stuff for the summer these past few months which means i think my style will really take off then. This winter has been ok but its a slow process.

Trend Setter
    Hi vitor

I'm similar in that I own a lot of stuff including many things I don't wear, and have also been selling lots on eBay such as jumpers and jackets. I think life's too short to worry about owning too much, and generally if I like something I will buy it, but luckily I'm quite fussy and it's rare that I'll buy something I'm not too sure about. I used to be a bit more impulsive, hence some items floating around my wardrobe that I no longer wear, but I had a strict clear out and basically sold or binned (charity shopped) any item which I couldn't remember how long ago it was since I last wore it.

Nowadays I only buy cheaper casual clothes, I don't think I have a single casual item in my wardrobe more than 70, and most are under 30. I don't feel so bad binning a 25 H&M jumper in the same way I used to with a 100 All Saints one for example. I probably have 15 jumpers / cardigans, 8 jeans, 4 polos, 4 jackets, 4 roll necks, and 5 t shirts. Even if I do a big shop for jumpers, jeans etc, due to the places I shop I can fill a bag for less than 100. My suit wardrobe is different as it's a bit of an obsession and I have way more suits, ties and pocket squares than I need, but it's just the way I am and I like them all.

I'm aged 34 but can pass off as mid 20s so I can either dress younger or more mature and get away with both, but over the past year I've definitely dressed more my age and ditched any resemblance of younger style clothing.

As for how others view your image / clothes, if what others think of you is important and gives you confidence, then that is as good a reason as any to care what others think, provided you of course actually like the clothes you wear, and are not just wearing them because others deem them trendy. You have to feel comfortable and confident in what you wear, that's rule number 1. Personally if someone likes what I wear it's a bonus, but I'll always wear what I like first and foremost, and there are many occasions when people do not like what I'm wearing, but I really don't care.

I really need to do this, I have so many clothes I don't wear and have bought stuff almost every week at times.

I think I'd probably get a lot more value out of what I have if I got rid of a load of stuff.

Keep an eye on the "for sale" thread...

Nat

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Condor Aasllani View Post

Keep an eye on the "for sale" thread...
    Given that we're about the same size, and you have a LOAD of nice garms, I will be!

Great replies. I think having just enough clothes is more then enough. It eases the transition and i dont think about what i should wear anymore since i know how to combine the outfits i already have.

Ill definetly stop impulse buy and browsing through brands e-commerce websites. Just browsing through this forum alone usually gives me good ideas about what to wear or not.

One of my main problems is for example i love Nat's and Marclarger's smart style, but i also like Ivan's edgy style as well. This causes a conflict to me and i think maybe i should lean to one side. For now i'm just selling stuff i just dont like seeing myself in it.

Trend Setter
    Vitor - I would agree, in that I too love loads of different styles and sometimes end up wearing one type of outfit one day and the next I look completely different and aside from whether it confuses anyone else it confuses me. I really love brands like H.E and Massimo Dutti, Cos etc. and love reading about capsule wardrobes etc but realistically they aren't for me, I'm a bit too 'rough around the edges' and feel they don't really suit me that well. I tend to wear what I want and try and buy from high street stores to save cash. Even if I could buy a tee for 100 off Mr Porter it doesn't mean I want to.

+ Reply to Thread