FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Best suit for under 300

I'm looking to get a new suit and would like opinions on the best place to go to. My last suit was from Suit Supply which cost 300 + about 60 for alterations. Although i'm really happy with it i'd like to explore something a little cheaper if possible yet still having a really good price to quality ratio.

I'm thinking of trying TM Lewin and maybe M&S too but any other ideas would be welcome!

Trend Setter
    I am thinking the Sales... so you will need to be fast. AustinReed is in their final 24hours, see if you can get anything there.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I am thinking the Sales... so you will need to be fast. AustinReed is in their final 24hours, see if you can get anything there.
    Thanks, thats definitely something I will consider for the future but I'm looking to get one within the next week, maybe two weeks max so it's probably unlikely I can get anything in the sale right now.

Trend Setter
    I see Lewin's sale is still on and Austin Reed still have some end of line sale suits (with rather limited availability) - both are definitely worth a gander.

I would recommend having a look in Slater's Menswear, if you have a branch near you. They have some excellent makes at knock down prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    I see Lewin's sale is still on and Austin Reed still have some end of line sale suits (with rather limited availability) - both are definitely worth a gander.

I would recommend having a look in Slater's Menswear, if you have a branch near you. They have some excellent makes at knock down prices.
    I think Lewin's sale is for 365 days a year. Unfortunately I just missed the Austin Reed sale. I'm in London and I don't believe there is a Slaters in London but thanks anyway.

Trend Setter
    What sort of suit are you in the market for? I have a couple of Suit Supply suits and blazers and am really happy with them. However, I recently got a navy TM Lewin suit, because I wanted something quite traditional and job interview friendly. I just looked and and you can pick up a plain navy Austin Reed suit for 120 is they happen to have your size, so that is definitely a good call.

Trend Setter
    Something I've been doing lately for all Menswear, is looking out for bargains on good brands and then taking them to tailors to have them fitted . Saves a fortune, and all your clothes fit perfectly

Fashionisto
    Quote Originally Posted by jonard View Post
    Something I've been doing lately for all Menswear, is looking out for bargains on good brands and then taking them to tailors to have them fitted . Saves a fortune, and all your clothes fit perfectly
    This is something I want to do more of - but my question for you is how badly fitting do you still think is salvageable into a good cut by the tailor?

Nat

Style Icon
    As long as the jacket fits in the shoulders, and the trousers fit in the waist, then you're golden.

Obviously the better the original fit, the less the tailor will have to mess around with the cut of the suit, so try to get something that doesn't fit terribly.
    Last edited by Nat; 24-02-2014 at 05:20 PM.

Trend Setter
    ^agreed with all the above regarding tailors. The absolute key is all in the tapering, sometimes it's worth going beyond the basics of waist and chest. I had a suit from suit supply and to make it perfect to my satisfaction they:

Slimmed (tapered) the sleeve width
    Tapered the jacket AT THE SIDES not the back, to get the proper tailored fitted look
    Shortened the trousers
    Tapered the trousers
    Took in the waist
    Shorterned the sleeves
    Shortened the jacket.

All the above was about 120, and some of the alterations were tiny, an inch or less, but it made the difference between an ok looking alteration and a perfect fit. The are no half-way houses if you want something to look bespoke.

+ Reply to Thread