FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Wet Weather Menswear Essentials

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what to wear in bad weather conditions. Where i am it rains almost constantly every day and its hard to stay fashionable in a soggy mess!

What kind of items do you guys wear to stay fashionable yet practicable when its bucketing down?

Thanks

Trend Setter

Yep, waxed jackets are the one for rainy weather. I have a black Reiss one, a moss green John Partridge one (very similar to the Barbour one but not so obvious) and a very bold Yellow Henri Lloyd one (pictured). It hith the fisherman / heritage trend well, but does require some thought to base an outfit around!

Maybe I'll make a thread...

@JAY_ , this could be your lucky day- they have my Reiss black wax jacket on Asos for £70 - reduced from £235! It is a beautifully made jacket, as with all Reiss garms. Check it out

1971 Reiss | 1971 Reiss Marmot Coated Cotton Jacket at ASOS

I paid full price for it :S

Fashionisto
    Thanks lads,

Pin money thats a bargain but its not my lucky day - no size small! Would of definitely bought that. I like the Henri Lloyd jacket however i'm not stylish enough to think up matching items :/

Olly really like the Barbour jacket but i'll need to get saving as I'm on a budget being a broke student, most money gets reserved for booze but i think i might have to make an exception to buy that

Jay_ if you look on outdoorsy/hunting sites you can find jackets similar to the Barbour much cheaper.

Sam

Style Icon
    Might be worth considering a trench coat if you're a dyed in the wool classicist. Something like this Burberry number would be a slicker, alternative to a heritage style casual jacket - more town than country. Knitwear, leather gloves and a scarf and suddenly you're dry and warm.
    Alternatively, and in my view most practically, a parka is a cool choice. Easy to find and easier to wear, and most importantly, instant mod cool. I prefer slimmer fits to boxy Liam Gallagher looks but it's your call. There's everything from this to this.

Jay

Style Icon
    This is my wet weather must have:

OK, admittedly it's a ridiculous luxury spending that much on a Paul Smith umbrella, but you can find similar for under £20 if you look. Paired with a mac it makes for a very sophisticated option.

I've gone through two 'raincoats' so far and haven't found anything waterproof enough. The first was a nylon parka that soaked through within seconds and the second was waterproof, but unbelievably enough only had a funnel neck with a non-functional decorative hood.

Just get an umbrella if you can't afford to shell out for waxed jackets (many of which don't even have hoods). I'm using a Fulton one and when folded it's compact enough to fit into the side pocket of my messenger bag, and comes in an eyecatching pattern. You get to avoid a soaked face and head too, both of which can happen even with the cosiest hoods.

Plus, unless you're facing gale-force wind and rain on an open hillside, an umbrella is a far more stylish and gentlemanly way of coping with the wet.

+ Reply to Thread