FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Fashion Is Repetitive Rant

OK, following today's post about tweed 3 piece suits I'm going to ask how many people find it annoying when something you've been wearing for years comes into mainstream fashion...

I'm sure this has come up before and there are ways to counter going into a depression as your wardrobe now looks like a dated high street shop with less branding.

such as the accessories or shoes worn with said suits. Just thought I'd say it grinds my gears!

Jay

Style Icon
    I can't say I care in the slightest and it baffles me as to why it matters that suddenly others might be wearing something that has been a staple for you.

I quite like the 'oh I can dig these out again' aspect of the relationship between style and fashion. Fashion never exactly repeats, it evolves with a slightly different twist or take on the old classics, so you it encourages you to look at those old items of clothing in a new light, pair them with different items and generally do something new and different with them.

Sam

Style Icon
    If your wardrobe looks like "a dated high street shop with less branding" because of fashion trends, you're buying wrong. Every man needs to master the balance between timeless classics and fashion items.

For example, I was wearing chinos long before they came into the mainstream as massively as they have in the last year or so; I lost some individuality but I gained more options on the high street. Most importantly by far though, it's not like they suddenly looked bad. That's the key thing and all it really boils down to; the difference between looking good and looking fashionable.

Personally, when something I'm wearing goes out of fashion in a big way I have a look at it and assess whether it's timeless or disposable fashion. If it's the former, I stick with it and if it's the latter, I put it away. Works for me - foolproof.

Basically, if you've got the hang of your style, you're probably alright; looking good is never out of fashion.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post

Basically, if you've got the hang of your style, you're probably alright; looking good is never out of fashion.
    Brilliantly put, Sam.

Sam

Style Icon
    Ha, thanks Olly.
    I would add that your tweed three piece is hardly going to become ubiquitous as it's a very specific, individual piece - even if it's in fashion you're still bound to be the only one within a mile of yourself wearing it. Tweed is one of those trends that takes off almost every year these days, but never seems to find its way onto the shoulders of the masses, at least as far as menswear is concerned.

*feeling sheepish* i just like being unique is all! Just frustrated me seeing the article and thinking I've spent time finding a unique look that now could become mainstream.

I think you took the 'rant' to seriously. I still love my look and wont change it; and each to their own on opinions of the matter. I highly doubt you'd like to go to work or a dinner in an outfit you've spent time deciding over only to find 3 or 4 people wearing the same thing.

Don't worry too much about it, luckily for you, trends come and go pretty quickly. The fashion industry depends on changing trends to sell new product.

Trend Setter
    If you put thought and effort into your outfits, you will surely stand out even among people wearing the same trend. Of course it's a little irritating when everybody starts saying that what you've been wearing for ages is now 'cool'.

Jay

Style Icon
    Sam got it right though; you're not going to see many people in a tweed suit even though they are in vogue right now. Although there are a tonne of tweed separates, I'm having trouble finding a decent tweed suit: I want one tailor made from Bookster, but a nine week wait is forever for an impatient swine like me. My search elsewhere turns up very little I like the look of.

Sam

Style Icon
    Jay... you have seriously got me into the idea of a Bookster jacket, they look great.
    I don't know whether to take advantage of my parents ludicrous birthday budgets (hipster, freeloader etc.) while I still can or wait until I won't grow out of a tailored garment!

Maverick - I don't know about taking your rant too seriously, I was just offering my opinion! Just like to add a different viewpoint. I do see what you mean actually but I just think that if one of your looks comes into fashion, it's a bit of a bonus. I don't think you lose credibility with anybody like that, especially with an investment piece like, say, a tweed three piece!

+ Reply to Thread