FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Autumn/Winter Fashion Help

I'm looking to revamp my winter wadrobe. I really like chunky knitwear with worker/military boots look but I'm a quite a skinny guy and I'm not sure how to carry the look off without the clothes just exaggerating how skinny I am. I'm planning on getting a pair of boots (open to suggestions) and will be getting a new jacket of some sorts be it a Barbour/mac/peacot, I've not decided.

I'm a student so I spend most of my time dressed casually, usually skinny jeans, plain trainers/vans and t-shirt. I want to add another dimension to my wardrobe and look a bit more mature without looking too formal.

Jay

Style Icon
    Chunky doesn't have to mean baggy and if you stick with a slightly more tailored/fitted look then you will be absolutely fine.

I'm a skinny guy and my wardrobe this season is full of skinny chinos and jeans (I prefer plums, darker greens and indigos for AW), chunky knitwear (lots of cable knit and fairisle), tweed blazers and trousers and my ubiquitous brogue boots. The trick, as I say, is to keep it fitted and not baggy.

This wonderful Reiss jumper is one of my go-to pieces, for example:

It's chunky and warm, but very nicely fitted, so it doesn't bulk you out too much, it can take a blazer over the top and won't outbalance a pair of skinnies (I wear this with skinny dark red chinos or indigo jeans a lot - and very soon with tweed trousers once I've had them tailored!).

As for the coat, it depends what look you are going for. I have a couple of macs, which add a smarter look and shape to an outfit. The Barbour is next on my list as it really sits well with the heritage-style gear that's around this season. They are both timeless pieces, so it depends if you are after city or country smarts as to which you plump for. The mac will see you into SS too though, which is an added bonus.

I'm not a military boots fan, so can't offer much advice there. They just scream 'boy band' to me. A good pair of brogue boots will smarten up a casual outfit. Or go for something with a slightly more hiking boot flavour, which might be less of a leap from worker boots (though be careful of choosing something that looks like your about to scale Kilimanjaro).

Here's an unusual approach to dealing with being overbalanced by having a chunky knit on top:

Slim trousers rolled up to expose high boots (mid calf height or so) laced up fully. The trousers should counteract the chunkiness of the knit, while the boots, if laced close enough to your legs and ankles will help slim down the whole look and take advantage of your thinner frame.

+ Reply to Thread