FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Polo Necks / Rollnecks Help & Discussion

Hi guys,

Having followed fashionbeans for over a year now I felt the time was right to finally make my first post and sign up. I have always been a massive fan of polo necks as they appear elegant and give a much smarter appearance.

I was inspired by recent articles such as How to Wear: The Polo Neck | Fashionbeans.com and decided therefore to go ahead and add a more over the top jumper/cardigan to my collection for this year’s chunky cable knit looks.

I made one of the best purchases (I feel) I have made in a while getting the roll neck shown below (Having trouble attaching, will try later). I feel though that it is fairly hard to pair with other outerwear or over layers. I own tweed jackets, quilted jackets and an overcoat at the moment. The roll neck is one of the longest I have seen and therefore makes it fairly OTT. Now I could just get it tailored and shorten it, but I think there might be other alternatives. I feel I cannot quite pull of the full roll over as shown below.

Does anyone else love Polo necks, if so what styles, what tips would you give for pulling them off and any suggestions of what I should pair this one with?? Should they be worn folded over once or should it be bunched together for a more casual look?

Cheers guys.

As discussed here are the photos of the polo neck jumper:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18406100/FB/3.jpg
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18406100/FB/1.jpg
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18406100/FB/2.jpg

I also realy like the french connection one in the current season which is very similar.

Chitterlins Cable Jumper - Mens Knitwear - French Connection

Jay

Style Icon
    I think your roll neck is awesome. I want something very similar (but only just bought a crew kneck cable knit that's almost identical so feels like a bit of luxury at the moment). The French Connection one is on my list of things to buy though.

I'm not a fan of just bunching up a roll neck (and it doesn't look at al good in your photo). It looks much better properly folded over (as in the first photo you've shown and looks great on you I might add).

Pair that one with your tweed jacket, deep red/green chinos or indigo jeans (all slim to skinny and properly turned up) and brogues or brogue boots (in tan or oxblood) and you will be the most dapper chap on the block.

Sam

Style Icon
    I'm mad about roll necks. My favourite trend in ages. You'll need a nice heavy jacket for that one though. Also, lapels. Lapels make a roll neck that much easier to carry off. So yes, I agree with Jay that a tweed jacket would be a cool choice. On a more casual day, and I know this would interfere with the heritage look, but I'd try a (brown) leather biker jacket, in keeping with the idea that lapels are advantageous. In fact, if you wanted to keep the heritage vibe happening, I'd find one with shearling or, less fussily, quilting. On very brisk days a nice thick earthy toned overcoat would set it off nicely - again, something with lapels. They aren't mandatory but they help. Think of proportions, too; the taller the neck, the wider the lapels. That's not to say go 70s crazy, but don't be shy!

I'd suggest that if you get on well with this you pick up a couple in jersey or merino to pair with lighter tailoring and the like. You'll not likely regret it.

+ Reply to Thread