FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

The Definitive Harrington Jacket Thread

I'd like to create this thread as a place we can share our views on the Harrington Jacket.

Do you think it is the ultimate summer jacket?
    A timeless piece of gent's styling?
    Will it be big in 2012?

I think this might be the year I follow in the steps of McQueen, Pressley, Sinatra, Gallagher and Craig and buy one. As always, I want to get the original and best, a slim fitting one, that will last for years.

Which brand should I go for?

Baracuta claim to be the original, is this the case?

Dark Navy G9 Slim Fit Harrington Jacket 'Made In England'

Thanks,
    www.twitter.com/electroRoss

Sam

Style Icon
    Yeah, the Barracuda G9 is the jacket the mods picked up on back in the 60s and made iconic.

I own a green, probably counterfeit Lacoste sort. It's too big, it's lime green, and it's from the 80s, all of which make it a true abomination.

Hence, not a look I can really work at the minute! And to be honest, when it comes down to it I'm really more into leather and denim jackets for casual wear personally - and I've seen a leather Harrington jacket and it's not that great! That said, I do love the look.

If I were after one I'd head to somewhere like Jump the Gun - Harrington jackets, which is a proper Mod shop. They do some interesting varieties; the waxed cotton one definitely looks cool.

FashionBeans Staff
    Being a MASSIVE advocate of the Harrington jacket, I can confirm that Sam is correct. Baracuta are by far the best brand to go for as they are the original makers of the style (it was made for golfers and started in Manchester I believe.)

I own the G10 Slim Fit jacket from Baracuta and I'm very impressed. I would say stick to one of the original styles for true timelessness, they will always be in, it's an iconic design; I intend to wear mind until it falls apart.

Jay

Style Icon
    For a timeless classic, the Harrington just looks dated to these eyes. Not a fan at all.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    For a timeless classic, the Harrington just looks dated to these eyes. Not a fan at all.
    What are you looking to wear this summer Jay? Blazers, leather, denim?

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by William Colman View Post
    Being a MASSIVE advocate of the Harrington jacket, I can confirm that Sam is correct. Baracuta are by far the best brand to go for as they are the original makers of the style (it was made for golfers and started in Manchester I believe.)

I own the G10 Slim Fit jacket from Baracuta and I'm very impressed. I would say stick to one of the original styles for true timelessness, they will always be in, it's an iconic design; I intend to wear mind until it falls apart.
    Going to go for the slim fitting Baracuta Will. Just as soon as I can find my size in navy. Timeless classic. Period.

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by electroRoss View Post
    What are you looking to wear this summer Jay? Blazers, leather, denim?
    I think I'll likely continue with my tailored geek chic look. No doubt, I'll be found in one kind of blazer or another. Or a trench coat if the weather is awful.

Style Icon
    I actually agree with Jay on this one. Picked up one from a vintage shop. Really liked for like a day then took it back the next week. I see so many people wearing them and I don't see anything special about them. Blazer for me this summer.

FashionBeans Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Nath6644 View Post
    I actually agree with Jay on this one. Picked up one from a vintage shop. Really liked for like a day then took it back the next week. I see so many people wearing them and I don't see anything special about them. Blazer for me this summer.
    I notice a lot of these Vintage Harringtons being worn around and about, more often than not however they are just cheap, mass produced imports from the US or China (a lot like most new clothes in fact.) and I feel that the added heritage of an original gives it an edge.

Trend Setter
    I like it. It's a no-fuss staple.

+ Reply to Thread