FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

***MADNESS*** Double Tartan? ***SADNESS***

Yeah, I said it.

Double Tartan.

This double tartan to be precise:

So, what are your thoughts? Madness? Sadness? Badness?

Give your opinions, and suggestions on what to pair with such a daring, deliberate act of fashion iconoclasm.

Jay

Style Icon

OK, someone had to do it.

I've not made my mind up about tartan. I can see it working with the heritage look, which I'm a huge fan of, but personally, I'd stick with it in smaller amounts in more muted shades.

In principle, the double tartan should work if the tartans are different sizes and the colours work (either complementary or contrasting) in the same way you can make the double stripe work.

Come on people! What to team with this daring combo?

I'm thinking:

The shirt & gilet (obviously)
    Black skinny jeans (mine are from All Saints)
    Some chunky socks (some navy ones might work?)
    Brown worker or brogue boots (All Saints and Hudson respectively)

Any other ideas?

If someone comes up with something, I will choose my fave and (maybe) post up a pic!

Safe bros!

Sam

Style Icon
    You know what I think, I say go for it!
    If you want to really push the boat out... why not add a third pattern? Something like this navy mini check flat cap - hats - accessories - men - River Island although that certainly won't be to everyone's taste! But a subtly checked scarf would work perfectly too. Just make sure, if you go for the scarf, it doesn't contrast too much; three way contrast is probably a bad move.

As to your look - you might know I'm not a fan of the black jeans/brown shoes thing (and Jay loathes it!) so that's not to my taste, but if you were to do it then the big socks would be a good move; I'd opt for a deep red pair but navy would probably work too as long as it wasn't too dark; black and navy is another contentious issue I'll wager, although more so in terms of tailoring.

What I'd do is go all heritage on it; cords, chunky socks and brogues (brogue boots if you prefer), as well as, if you're dandy, a hat like that River Island one or another sort of checkered hat. Blue jeans would definitely work of course, and while some might dispute wearing them without a coat I'd also suggest a nice pair of knitted gloves could be a nice touch.

I'm a bit of a flatcap fanatic so I can easily pull out a tweedy one to add to it.

Perhaps I'll try it out with indigo skinnies too... Might tie it all together a bit better.

Thanks!

Sam

Style Icon
    It's sounding like a good move, you'll have to post a picture! (excuse my hypocrisy; I might break my anonymity and put up a photo of my own when I get my new jacket. And a haircut. And a facelift. Etc!)

Trend Setter
    Yes for double tartan! I would pair them with black jeans and brown boots as you said. I'm on the other side of the black/brown combo debate, and also like black + navy a lot.

In my dream life, i would mix patterns and textures all the time. But this comes from a person that's in love with silver shoes (though I sadly don't own any), so beware..

Sam

Style Icon
    It sounds like there's a lot we probably disagree on? It's all subjective anyway.
    I've warmed to the idea of silver shoes though actually. It would take a daring guy but I think they'd be great, done well.
    And the thing about black/navy is really just navy suit/black tie, which I'm personally not a fan of and hear a lot of advice against (unless you're talking about a navy or midnight blue tux, which should have black silk lapels). Navy socks and black jeans is probably pretty infallible!
    I'm not even going to start on black/brown - it's just never worth it and it seems to be just Jay and I on the side of tradition!

Trend Setter
    The forum is actually divided between those pro brown+black and those against it. I think most users are actually on the hate it side. I don't have many prejudices when styling though, I'm more on the adventourous side.

Trend Setter
    Which is not always a good thing, of course

+ Reply to Thread