FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

Trend Setter

Do You Shop Thrift Stores?

Here in North America, it is very common that people go to second hand shops to cheaply buy what other people have gotten rid of. It is often where one finds the most unique and quirky pieces and it offers an exciting hunt for that special item. You never know what you will you will find and a lot of the items are funny to see, even if you will never buy them. However, the other day I was talking to my brother, who lives in Europe, about how the practice does not seem as common across the Atlantic. I don't know where all of you are from, but what are your thoughts on shopping thrift?

Sam

Style Icon
    I buy vintage occasionally, which is similar; I just ordered a tan leather jacket from a vintage site I've never used before so I'll let you know how that one turns out. I noticed that one of the other forumers found a nice leather in a charity shop, Billy I think?
    Have you had any good finds recently then?

Jay

Style Icon
    I steal my clothes from the corpses of te recently dead. It's dirt cheap with the added advantage that if you get there soon enough, they are often still warm.

I have to admit to not having been into a second hand store in an age. Old ladies scare me too much. They're like clowns but more badly applied make-up.
    Last edited by Jay; 14-11-2011 at 08:55 PM.

Trend Setter
    My friend was in London and he said that he was talking about buying second hand thrift with some people there and they said it seemed gross and weird. So, Jay's sentiment doesn't seem totally uncommon. However, Jay should know that the old ladies are what makes thrift shops a great place to score cloths and women, lol. :P As for Sam's comment, vintage and thrift are different experiences because it seems like vintage removes the "gross" elements of thrift, but is more expensive. As for pick ups, yes! I found a great tweed blazer the other day for about ten Canadian dollars.

Here is a silly picture of me wearing the blazer, sorry you can't get a full look, but you can get an idea:

Fashionisto
    By thrift store I assume you mean charity shop? I got some great Farah chino shorts from a local charity shop for about 4 quid. Fit a treat and look great as well.

Sam

Style Icon
    I suppose thrifts proper must be a more American phenomenon; I've only ever seen one of the proper sort in the country, although I can't say I've looked very hard.
    I wouldn't hesitate to check one out but I'd bring a magnifying glass... I'd want to be careful!

Sam

Style Icon
    And by the way you and your blazer look really cool from what I can see; I mean, the fit around the shoulders is good which is definitely the best place to start.

Trend Setter
    Charity shops sound like a similar idea, though that term is not used here. I think you are right, Sam. Here is so popular that there is an international chain of thrift stores called value village which just takes what people in the area throws out and it does good business. Just have the cloths cleaned when you get home.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I noticed that one of the other forumers found a nice leather in a charity shop, Billy I think?
    Yep, that's me. I've had lots of great buys from charity and vintage shops. Managed to get a navy lambswool crew neck for £2.50 and a Marks dark grey v-neck for £3.80 on Saturday.
    "There's only one thing worse than being talked about and that's not being talked about."

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by billyreedwah View Post
    Yep, that's me. I've had lots of great buys from charity and vintage shops. Managed to get a navy lambswool crew neck for £2.50 and a Marks dark grey v-neck for £3.80 on Saturday.
    Very cool, than you will attest that even though not everything is quality, it isn't as close grave robbing as one may think?

+ Reply to Thread