FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2 3 4 Last

Quote Originally Posted by _Ben_ View Post
    I think I might need to get hold of a new Trek/Base crew. I have the former in the ink/marl colour (or whatever colour they call it) however it's a medium but fits like an XS. It was an absolute steal on eBay (£30) but I think it shrunk in the wash. It fits perfectly, but it is so warm! I felt one of the base crews the last time I was in an AS store, and it was so much softer than my Trek Crew. My one feels quite rigid. It does put me off wearing it sometimes, because the minute I go indoors it can get really hot...

I'm definitely going to have to take a trip to AS to see the new knitwear in person. Although I really should top shopping there...I'm beginning to have outfits which are AS head to toe...
    That happens to me from time to time too, but I don't think it's that obvious tbh. The thing is though, where else is there that hits the trends so well in that price bracket? Reiss has become quite dull but has some ok bits, but apart from that I find very little of interest.

The Base Crew is incredibly warm, it does put me off wearing it unless it's very cold out, but it's worth it for the times I do get to wear it.

Style Icon
    I completely agree. All Saints is brilliant. And I'm not aware of any other store (apart from French Connection, perhaps) that has had such good sales. The last one wasn't as good as previous ones, but it's gone on for a while and the prices are pretty damn good. A £225 coat down to £90 is an absolute steal. If the archive* was as full as it used to be, I'd most likely have an empty wallet.

I don't think it's easily noticeable if someone is dripping in All Saints (unless every item has the ram-skull or an external label).

*I won't put money on it, but I'm betting that the current sale items will move into the archive after tomorrow (maybe with the prices hiked slightly on selected items). Unless of course they're selling all their stock to (your) TK Maxx now...

Sam

Style Icon
    I don't know, I think you have a lot of options at that price point.
    What about jeans brands like Levi's and Nudie? At around that price point they do some pretty rugged stuff.
    It's edging upwards, but Ted Baker and PSJ are nice brands with a little less of that distressed Allsaints vibe.
    And there's the American Prep stuff - Polo Ralph Lauren, Hilfiger, et al.

But yes, Allsaints definitely has carved a solid niche out for itself.

Tell you what, head to toe Allsaints could be worse - I find myself head to toe in Topman a little more often than I'd like

Edit: And also guys, don't kid yourselves; I reckon I could pick out an Allsaints mannequin a mile away

Style Icon
    Ah, but I recon I could spot a Topman mannequin from at least 10 miles away

Interestingly I stopped buying my jeans from Levis and moved to All Saints. I found the quality, design and fit of the latter a lot better (with the only downside being the fixed leg lengths [although I roll my jeans up so this doesn't really affect me]). I haven't bought a pair of levis for over a year now. Their skinniest fits then were hard to get hold of, with the 519's and 511's being more of a slim fit.

The real trouble is (if one can call it a trouble) that when you find a brand that fits you well and produces clothing which really appeals to you, it's extremely difficult to buy clothes elsewhere. "oh, I need a grey jumper. I could get it from Topman, but then so will everyone. There's one in the All Saints sale at the same price..." which pretty much sums up most of my recent buys from All Saints.

Sam

Style Icon
    That's fair enough - although I try to steer well clear of the Topman "house style". They produce a deceptively wide catalogue of stuff, I think you could be surprised.
    It's more a case of money and fit for me; in other respects, I'm open to most things. I usually just buy from the brand that makes what I'm looking for.
    I have a close mate that is generally an Allsaints poster boy though so I'm familiar with the style

Style Icon
    That's true. Topman is deceptive: their stores can house items which their website either fails to list or is too outdated to be listed. You can certainly pick out pieces which you can guarantee not many people (who you know) will be wearing. I find this is less true for their knitwear though. A few times there have been pieces I like, but I decide not to take my wallet out because I know a number of people who wear the same item. I prefer to try and stay a bit different (although my different is fast becoming universal...)

My other knit-pick is a trend of Topman stcopying All Saints on certain styling, but staying a year behind. SS10: All Saints Milliner chinos: white buttons. Topman SS11: those cheap white buttons. All Saints SS11: black buttons. Topman SS12: black buttons, similar styling. The same is true for River Island's version of the All Saints short-kicks. Even D&G copied the panel lay out! (if one can call it copying. Perhaps adapting...)
    My All Saints Missile Duffel Coat (which was largely unique when I bought it last year) is now worn by tons of people in various branded forms. I have yet to see someone wear the same jacket, but they are very similar.

FashionBeans Staff
    I shall be keeping close eye on their shirts in the hope they release something a bit more to my liking and devoid of the ramskull, otherwise I might invest in a pair or two of their chinos. I've already planned out my next few purchases and All Saints doesn't really feature.

Not overly fond of a great deal of their new range; that said, I've never been a big fan of the entire range, just the shirts.

Trend Setter
    I've seen the odd shirt I like and I've already picked up 3 pairs of chinos, other than that there isn't much else I need or would want to pay full price for. I generally wait for their sales.

Jay

Style Icon
    I own a few bits of Allsaints gear but tend to steer away from their typical style. There are far cheaper ways to look like you've not ironed and then worn your clothes all week. It's just all a little dour and grim for my tastes with their 'it comes in any colour you like as long as its a shade of grey' policy.

However, I do like the cut and fit of their shirts, so have several and this one is rather nice:

http://www.allsaints.com/men/shirts/allsaints-shibuya-ls-shirt/?colour=21&category=11

The Rok and Valkyrie cardigans are also nice, but I'm all knitweared and cardiganed out for this season, so won't bother picking them up.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I own a few bits of Allsaints gear but tend to steer away from their typical style. There are far cheaper ways to look like you've not ironed and then worn your clothes all week. It's just all a little dour and grim for my tastes with their 'it comes in any colour you like as long as its a shade of grey' policy.

However, I do like the cut and fit of their shirts, so have several and this one is rather nice:

http://www.allsaints.com/men/shirts/allsaints-shibuya-ls-shirt/?colour=21&category=11

The Rok and Valkyrie cardigans are also nice, but I'm all knitweared and cardiganed out for this season, so won't bother picking them up.
    Was just about to post this one. I'll definitely be trying to pick this up when it's in the sale.

it's similar to their okinawa shirt from last year (which I missed in their summer sale).

+ Reply to Thread