FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last
    Sam

Style Icon

Safari Jacket

I am told that the 70s are coming back. And that means big lapels, earthy tones and safari jackets. I don't mind the former two, but I'm certainly interested in the latter!
    What do you guys think of this style?

I'm sold. Perhaps the short sleeves on that one aren't so cool though.

To that end, I'm after one. But after scouring the internet as well as I can, I simply can't find one that isn't ridiculously expensive!

So, chaps, as well as your opinions, I'd really appreciate a hand finding one - small, or extra small, or 36" or less (it varies) that is reasonably priced. What constitutes "reasonably priced" I'll leave to your discretions though.

So, discuss, and thanks

Trend Setter
    This has been around for a couple of seasons, no? Albeit not on the high street. I picked up the safari shirts in khaki shades last season. I think it's a great look. Afraid mine were vintage finds so can't help you much on sourcing.

Sam

Style Icon
    It's one I'm going to have to do a bit of hunting down.
    I have to say the search is off for a little while now; just today I took a trip to the Cheaney factory store...

Style Icon
    I remember All Saints doing a hunting-style jacket (can't recall the name though) so you might be able to track one down on eBay (although currently I don't think there are any listed. We seem to be the same size, and if I saw one I'd most likely be watching it )

The issue is that there can be a fine line between a hunting/safari jacket and a shirt. The picture you posted serves both purposes.

Orvis do one: Mens Safari Jacket / Rhinohide® Safari Jacket -- Orvis UK Not sure what sort of budget you have though. I had a look on eBay for Orvis, and there is nothing.

Sam

Style Icon
    Thanks Ben - that Orvis one isn't available at all though

While I was browsing their site I saw this one and swooned a little! It's ideal.

Alas, ~£600 and out of stock in small

Style Icon
    Wow! That is a lovely jacket. The military detailing leads me to ask whether you'd consider something without a label (or, as the case may be, with a vintage label)? One can find vintage military jackets like this (many of which tailors at the time such as Burberry and Moss made) which are near on identical, and usually a lot cheaper. These can be picked up at militaria fairs, and perhaps even vintage shops, or antique shops, but it's usually a matter of sifting through the 'crap' (I write it in inverted commas because one man's crap is another's gold). You may not always get lucky.

Even reproduction army gear can look the part. e.g. Onlinemilitaria.com - What Price Glory - UK RAF Officer Khaki Drill Service Dress TunicReplace the buttons with vintage leather ones, have a tailor take it in and it could be a new jacket...
    Personally I don't think this particular one I have linked to is very nice, but I'm only going by the pictures. A lot of this will depend on the material. The Orvis one looks awesome.

This one looks better: Onlinemilitaria.com - What Price Glory - UK WWII pattern Aertex Khaki Drill Bush Jacket

Again, there may be better reproducers for these items who can rival, say, an All Saints version. I guess that unless you modify it yourself, it won't have the same fashion manipulation as the branded items.

edit: one more lol:

don't think you could get more vintage than this (aside from one of the tailors that produced jackets for those that went on Safari):

WW2 British Army Tropical Issue Bush Jacket | Clothing and Accessories | World War Wonders
    cheaper than Orvis...

Vintage Safari Jacket | J.L. Powell

Sam

Style Icon
    Wow, thanks man.
    The difference for me is in the collar, which is why I've ruled some of the military styles out; I'm after one of the ones with a top button and a shirt collar, rather than those short lapels.
    That's some food for thought though - I'll be checking the vintage stores!

Style Icon
    I can see where you're coming from. I think that would look pretty awesome as well. I can't think of any I've seen recently off the top of my head, but if I see anything I'll be sure to post it here. I can see these becoming really popular...

Style Icon

Sam

Style Icon
    Ah, thanks mate - that's ideal. I'll be able to snap that up early next month when a little cash comes my way.

+ Reply to Thread