FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last

If You Had £200 to Spend on Clothes, What Would You Buy?

Assuming you got an allowance right now of £200 to go out and buy anything you liked, clothes, shoes or accessory-wise... what would you get?

I'm thinking about a tweed blazer at the moment

Think it's the next step from the now-ubiquitous quilted jacket

Sam

Style Icon
    With that figure I'd get a nice pair of Chelsea boots at the minute.
    If I had £2000, however! I'd pop down to Spencer Hart and see what they'd make me, bespoke suit wise. That would be cool.

Jay

Style Icon
    I'd buy one third of this:

FashionBeans Staff
    1295889002-74491600.jpg

5221424859982_Grey_l1.jpg

I'd pick myself up these badboys, the trousers are actually much slimmer and look a lot better in real life.

So the general feel is you'd get a good pair of shoes or a reasonably priced jacket.

I was asking as thats what my parents are giving me for xmas... I had it in mind to try pick up perhaps 3 things for that, but you think it would be better to spend it on one high quality item rather than 3 slightly more reasonable items?

I do want a medium grey blazer with suede elbow patches but have no idea where to get one. Has anyone seen one? The kind of thing I'm looking for is exactly like the one in the 21st outfit along from the left on the following page (scroll along)

Tom Ford

FashionBeans Staff
    To be honest, my choice is purely based on what I intend to buy next from my list of clothes, it just happens to fit within the £200 budget. I certainly wouldn't say you should just spend it all on one item, buy yourself what you feel is going to work best within your wardrobe, think what will improve your wardrobe the most.

Editor-In-Chief
    Like Will says NZJAMES it would be best to take a look at your wardrobe and see where it is lacking. That is a very generous gift from your parents so you could definitely pick up a great blazer and a piece of knitwear for the autumn/winter season - roll neck or cable knit perhaps?

As for your blazer, I am a big fan of the Burton Heritage range and Topman Harris Tweed and Made in England ranges right now:
    Burton: Heritage Collection - Clothing - Burton

Topman: Harris Tweed - Clothing - TOPMAN
    http://www.topman.com/webapp/wcs/sto...=1&pageSize=20

How about this:
    Grey Tweed Slim Fit Gunpatch Blazer * - Web Exclusives - Clothing - Burton

05J02ZGRY_large.jpg

That is from the Heritage range, comes in at £125 - is on trend in tweed and does have elbow patches - I doubt they are suede though. Similar colour to the Tom Ford piece as well.
    Founder & Editor In Chief of FashionBeans.com. If you have any questions about the site or want to help out in moderating our forums, please send me a PM.

Our regular readers should check out FitnessBeans.com - our brand new website concentrating on men's health and fitness.

Editor-In-Chief
    In fact I have only found 2 grey blazers with suede elbow patches. One is on Mr Porter and a ridiculous £1,185

The other is Ted Baker but slightly over your budget at £250:

Named the BROJACK: http://www.tedbaker.com/selected/sui...elected/suited
    Founder & Editor In Chief of FashionBeans.com. If you have any questions about the site or want to help out in moderating our forums, please send me a PM.

Our regular readers should check out FitnessBeans.com - our brand new website concentrating on men's health and fitness.

Trend Setter
    Unfortunately I’m not offering any suggestions, but personally if somebody is buying me a present I like it to be something I will have for years, and has enough of a presence that I’ll remember they bought it for me every time I wear it.

Things like t-shirts and shirts will come and go. Trousers, jeans and shoes can blend into a wardrobe of similar items unless statement pieces.

As an example, my mum bought me my teal chunky cable knit cardigan last Christmas, and my wife bought me some chocolate brown cropped military boots. Both stick in my mind, and both work as statement pieces of an outfit.

Like I said though, that’s just my definition of a present when it comes to clothing. For me a present is about the sentiment.

+ Reply to Thread