FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
1 2 Last
    Jmz

Help With An Outfit

I'm going for a meal and then out for a few drinks on Friday for my birthday so I'm trying to decide on something to wear that is smart but not too over the top as I'm not sure where I'll end up going afterwards.

I have a slim fit black shirt that I really like so I was thinking of wearing that with maybe some dark/black jeans and a black belt.

First off, will this look a bit plain and boring? If so, how could I make it look a bit better? And I haven't got a clue what shoes I should be looking to wear so any ideas on that would be good too.

Also, it will have to be straight fit jeans. I have a pretty small waist and big legs so skinny or slim fit jeans just don't work for me.

Does the shirt have a chest pocket? If so, a pocket square would look cool and add some versatility to the outfit.

A collar bar can also be a good look. Do the shirt up to the top, and rock one of these with no tie.

I think black shoes and belt with this might and up making you look a bit like a waiter, so I'd be inclined to opt for a brown shoes/belt combo, probably a brogue boot and a woven belt.

Style Icon
    I'd go for chinos if you're trying to smarten up a little bit. If you're wearing a black shirt (not my personal choice but doable), why not opt for a pair of burgundy, slim fit ones?

Burgundy Skinny Chinos - Latest Trend - Whitstable - Clothing - TOPMAN
    These are cheap and I quite like the skinny fit at Topman, its more of a slim fit on me.

Pins has got the right idea with the brogue boots and the belt combo, but some coloured chinos would look smarter while making a bit of a statement.

Trend Setter
    I have some deep red twill chinos by NN07 that I managed to get for free (stupidest check out girl ever) and would look awesome. I'd lend them to you if you lived a bit closer.

Jmz

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

I actually really like those chinos, might take the shirt in to topman to try them all on together.

I do have a dark blue shirt I could wear instead if that would make picking an outfit easier (I'm going for a darker shirt because I don't trust myself with a lighter one when I'm going for food first).

Style Icon
    I understand not wanting to get a good shirt dirty haha, but a lighter shirt would open up your options alot more. If in doubt, can't go wrong with an light blue oxford and some chinos.

Aqua Washed Oxford Shirt - Mens Shirts - Clothing - TOPMAN[207233|207230]&noOfRefinements=1

Hudson "Angus" Brogue Boots - Boots - Shoes - TOPMAN

Combine with these boots, some burgundy chinos and a woven brown belt and you've got a nice, simple, bright look going on. I'd throw in a blazer as well personally, but if you're not ready for that, it will work fine without.

Jmz

I actually have an Oxford shirt similar to the one in your post, I normally wear it more casually with a t-shirt underneath. I've never thought of using it as a smart shirt!

Looks like I'll have to just get these chinos, if they fit ok and then try them on with the shirts to see what looks best.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Sam

Style Icon
    Black shirts can be tough to pull off; one too many buttons undone and boom, Tom Jones.
    It can be striking when you do it well though; I like the burgundy chinos idea, and in a straight rather than skinny fit that could be a really striking look. Add black shoes and a black belt and you're pretty much done. A dark grey could be equally suave.

Also, if you're going to order a pair of chinos, remember your remark about straight fit rather than skinny; if skinny jeans don't work for you skinny chinos certainly won't. A slim fit might be the perfect medium though, and I'm fond of Topman's slim chinos.

Jmz

Yeah I'll be trying the chinos on before I buy them. I've given up on ever buying trousers online!

Trend Setter
    Black shirt, black slim chinos/jeans red socks, and black oxfords. Actually, I'm just describing a Hudson look from last season. Haha. But something like that can look smart with a splash of colour while also being subtle.

+ Reply to Thread