FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread
First 1 2
    Sam

Style Icon
    If you've already got the two button and you're looking for something different, how about a DB?
    Men’s Fashion Basics – Part 59 – The Double Breasted Jacket | Fashionbeans.com

Reiss do a really nice one at the minute. Nice casual patch pockets and a cut below your top price!

Jay

Style Icon
    I really don't understand a double breasted blazer with patch pockets at all. The double breast says power dressing and formality and the patch pockets say casual. It just looks confused to me.
    Last edited by Jay; 20-11-2011 at 05:02 PM. Reason: spelling

Fashionisto
    Thanks for the suggestion Sam, but double breasted is a bit too formal for what I'm looking for right now.

Sam

Style Icon
    Jay - I like it personally. I think that the DB look is slowly being disassociated with power dressing, I think that deconstructed shoulders, shorter cuts and, to a lesser extent, patch pockets are bringing the style into the 21st century as a more smart-casual piece. I can see how that's certainly not to everybody's taste but I'm a fan, I think it can be very fetching. Of course, that Reiss one isn't particularly deconstructed or shortly cut so what I've said doesn't apply, but that shade of blue does make it a bit more wearable.

In any case, Annms (peculiar name that!), I'm not having much luck turning up 3 button navy blazers of any quality, but I will suggest that you look for the lowest breaking 3 button blazer you can find (within reason), and that you make sure it's not too beefy material wise; what you want is something whose left lapel (right lapel is obstructed by button) will fold over properly when you do it up by the middle button alone.

Jay

Style Icon
    The shade of blue is indeed nice, Sam. I guess I'm not particularly convinced by the double breasted jacket. They just remind of bad 80s outfits and Swiss Tony. And the patch pockets aren't doing anything to shake those images off. It's a trend I shall be steering well clear of (especially as a blazer is a big spend item and the likelihood of it looking really stupid in twelve months time is very high).
    Last edited by Jay; 21-11-2011 at 04:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Sam

Style Icon
    I wasn't around in the 80s to witness such atrocities! From my perspective they look quite nice, I'd certainly not hesitate to get one if it fitted me and suited me.

Back on topic; three button navy blazers. Jump the Gun are a mod store in Brighton. Their suits are, I'm told, superbly cut, and in true mod style 3 buttons is the norm. They don't sell separates to my knowledge but you could probably get something sorted out if you rang up or emailed them - alternatively, you could just buy the whole suit as it's well within your budget! But I think it might be worth a look.
    Navy Wool Suit
    Blue Mohair Suit
    Last edited by Sam; 21-11-2011 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Fixing links

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I wasn't around in the 80s to witness such atrocities! From my perspective they look quite nice, I'd certainly not hesitate to get one if it fitted me and suited me.

Back on topic; three button navy blazers. Jump the Gun are a mod store in Brighton. Their suits are, I'm told, superbly cut, and in true mod style 3 buttons is the norm. They don't sell separates to my knowledge but you could probably get something sorted out if you rang up or emailed them - alternatively, you could just buy the whole suit as it's well within your budget! But I think it might be worth a look.
    Navy Wool Suit
    Blue Mohair Suit
    A suit jacket is not a blazer.

Sam

Style Icon
    And yet some do the same job perfectly.

+ Reply to Thread