FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

What To Wear With This Dress Shirt?

Polo Ralph Lauren Slim fit fine stripe shirt Pink - House of Fraser

I bought this shirt yesterday and i am deciding on what would compliment it. If you zoom in on the picture you'd see that it has navy blue stripes too.

I'm thinking of some dark navy blue trousers and a light brown belt, maybe?

Sam

Style Icon
    Hi there - I guess you're new so welcome to the forum! That's a lovely shirt you've got there. Your look would definitely work, but since you asked, here's a couple I think might work. It would take quite a while to pick out some products as examples but if you want me to dig up a few just ask!

I think that with that shirt, slim beige/cream/stone/whatever chinos, a navy blazer and your choice of either brown loafers or brown wingtips, as well as an optional brown belt and optional brown leather strapped watch, would be the ultimate preppy look. Argyle socks would be the perfect finishing touch.

Alternatively, if you have a navy suit then that shirt would work very well; brown shoes and belt and a deep purple tie would be my choices to wear with it - add a crisp white pocket square and you'll have brought out all three of the colours in the shirt. This is would be a flamboyant look though, depending on the suit; the darker the navy the more better I think it would work.

You could always dress it down with jeans, casual shoes (desert boots or deck boots, not trainers - or chelsea boots if your jeans are black skinnies) and a nice jacket or coat - my choice would be a dark grey overcoat but more or less anything would work as long as it's reasonably smart (I.E. not an anorak, parka or waxed jacket) in a classic colour; stick mainly to black, navy, grey and camel.

Finally, there's a particular thing I think would work absolutely perfectly, but that you're not likely to have or justify acquiring - but if you can get hold of a scarf, cufflinks or generally anything in the iconic Paul Smith multi stripe pattern, it would be extremely complimentary. I know this goes against recent complaint of overly idealised advice, but it's worth putting out there - every other look I've suggested can be picked up on the high street.

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Lee View Post
    Polo Ralph Lauren Slim fit fine stripe shirt Pink - House of Fraser

I bought this shirt yesterday and i am deciding on what would compliment it. If you zoom in on the picture you'd see that it has navy blue stripes too.

I'm thinking of some dark navy blue trousers and a light brown belt, maybe?
    Are you wanting to wear it for work, for every day casual wear or for a smart night out? It makes all the difference as to what might get suggested and whether it chimes with your needs.

Sam

Style Icon
    ... Yeah, Jay's right actually. I have to say I was jumping the gun suggesting three looks out of the many great ones there could be.

+ Reply to Thread