FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Smartening Up My Wardrobe

Hello all, this is my first post and I'm here to ask the fashionbeans community about smartening my wardrobe.

First of all, I'm a student but I still have a job so I can save money for this much needed update but as you'll have guessed, I'm not going to be made of money (no Armani for me).

I've been following fashionbeans for over a year now and certain styles have resonated with me much more than others, such as the suits. These are something I'd like to get into wearing on most days since I believe they'll match my character and ultimately make me feel more confident and relaxed (which is ultimately my goal here).

I'm mostly looking to ask:

What suits should I own? I know I should have Navy, Grey and Black suits, but is there anything else I should be looking to add?

What can I do to add some variety to my newfound suits? What colours can I use with each suit? Are bow ties acceptable? What shoes can I wear with each?

If it's really any help, I'm quite a fan of the way Ed Westwick wears his suits and pulls them off. Any others who I may like the style of?

Many thanks, everyone.

Sam

Style Icon
    Hi there, and welcome to the forum!

Firstly that's a noble goal you've got there - what do you need and what's your approximate budget?
    But anyway, right down to business.
    Navy and grey suits are both essential but you don't need to own both - just one of the two will suffice and it's entirely personal preference. If you go for grey, don't opt for too light a shade; it looks really fantastic but it's not as versatile or seasonally transcendent. A black suit isn't going to get worn as much for most people but you should probably still have one if you're a suits guy.
    Other colours? A deep emerald or olive green can be fetching. Brown and, to a lesser extent, beige/cream suits can look great, but make sure they suit you. Burgundy is probably as out-there as you should go. White suits are extremely dangerous territory. Another thing to consider is pattern: checks and pinstripes can be very dapper.
    In terms of shoes, it's easy: black shoes with a black suit. Black (only with monochromatic shirt + tie), brown, oxblood, dark grey or tan (only for casual looks) with grey suits. Brown, oxblood, tan (again only for casual) with a navy suit.
    Your other questions are tremendously broad - I'll try and help out when I've got more time on my hands!
    Make sure to read the plethora of relevant articles on the main site too.

Hope that helps a bit
    Last edited by Sam; 23-11-2011 at 09:33 PM.

Jay

Style Icon
    Can I ask what you what occasions you want to wear the suits for? Is it for work or smart/casual wear?

Depending on what you your aiming for with your suit wear will make a huge difference to any recommendations.

Thanks for the replies. I should really have been more specific.

I want to wear suits as often as possible, whenever and wherever possible. The reason being that I feel very comfortable and ultimately myself in suits and I'd like it as a way to show my character, essentially. I'd like most of my wardrobe to incorporate suits to wear most days of the week (of course I'll keep casual clothing, but I'm looking to put my best foot forward as often as possible).

So I'm looking to buy a range of suits in order to get me started. Some for more formal times, but all able to wear in a casual environment (being dressed down, of course).

I'd say I have about £300 per suit. Though, I can stretch to £400 so I can get them sorted by a tailor for a better fit.

+ Reply to Thread