FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

I'm A Fashion Beginner, Please Help!

I've only recently got into "fashion" and was wondering where the best places to start were, can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks, i look forward to knowing more

FashionBeans Staff
    Hi! welcome to the forum.

for a start, take a look through Matt Allinson's basics series of articles:

Men's Fashion Basics - Fashion Advice For Beginners By Fashionbeans.com

These will give you a good idea of what kinds of things you should be considering for your wardrobe. It might also be worth checking out my articles on Reinventing your style:

http://www.fashionbeans.com/2012/rei...e-first-steps/
    Reinventing Your Personal Style: Refining Your Clothing | Fashionbeans.com
    Reinventing Your Style: Refining Your Clothing (Part 2) | Fashionbeans.com

These are designed for the man with a slightly less confident approach to their wardrobe and is essentially about refining what you already know.

The best advice anyone can give is to get the basics right. Have a solid wardrobe of versatile, classic pieces; think jeans, chinos, shirts, plain tees, knitwear and footwear. Get your style right back to its roots and rebuild it from the ground up, make sure you are comfortable in what you are wearing and don't push the boundaries too far. A lack of confidence in what you are wearing is a real killer.

Jay

Style Icon
    While all of what Will has said is true, no two person will list the same items as fashion basics and building up a set of basics will depend on the overall look you want to achieve. My advice is to do what everyone does when they are learning something new: copy. Look at people on the street (although not too closely in case they think you are weird) and in lookbooks on the Internet (there's one on this site and google will lead you to dozens of others), find looks and individual items you like and copy them.

When learning to cook people copy recipes seem tasty until they know which ingredients work together. When people are learning to play an instrument they copy and learn to play simple songs they like until they can put the chords together to make tunes of their own. Do the same with learning about fashion.

To always wear clothes that fit you well is, according to me, the most important thing. Keep that in mind. Read the basics that Colman linked but remember that there are no laws in fashion, just guidelines.

Secondly, go to stores and ask the people working there to help you, they tend to be very comitted. I can't give you tips about stores since i don't know where you live.
    Sometimes people ask me why I always dress up. I simply reply that I don't. It's everyone else who dress themselves down

+ Reply to Thread