FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Mens Personal Shoppers

Right i've been reading this month's issue of GQ and came across an article on Personal shoppers. The personal shopper on question is Joe Ottaway, who works at Selfridges in London. He recommends a budget of 1000. I think i might have to experience this, any one used the services before? What do people think of it?

Trend Setter
    I have never used the service and don't thin I ever will. I think anyone who has an eye for what looks good on them will probably feel the same. I might be wrong but I'd be inclined to think that personal shoppers will be commission based and try to edge customers to the most expensive items, regardless of whether they look good or not. Rather cynical I'm afraid.
    As I said, I might be wrong...

To be honest i was reading the article and i totally forgot about the fact that they will force the more expensive things into your hand. Although many people seem to use the service. I believe it comes across as slightly lazy, getting someone to trawl around the shop for you.

Trend Setter
    Sounds foolish.

FashionBeans Staff
    Hey Charliec,

Personal shoppers are a great service and are worth 30 minutes of your time. And that is the point, the personal shoppers of Selfridges and Topman Oxford Street are only costing you time. The service is free with no obligation to buy.

If you read a fashion website like Fashionbeans or read a magazine like GQ, then by using a personal shopper, you are basicaly taking a Fashionbeans writer or a GQ contributor shopping with you, but with the added knowledge of size and fit without even needing to measure you!

In response to Olly's comment, when I went to Topman's personal shopping, the shopper asked for my budget and stuck around it and was as equally keen to prompt me away from items that wouldn't suit me/the shopper didn't like, as they were to prompt me toward items.

There is no harm in using this service and you'll return with a better knowledge of the store that you used the service at, your body measurements and maybe of something new you'd like.

Give my article regarding my visit to the Peronal Shopping suite at Topman for more details and a full review: Topman Personal Shopping Service Review | Fashionbeans.com
    Follow me on Twitter for the latest Fashion, Style and Music news and musings: https://twitter.com/#!/ERJ_John

Read my Fashionbeans articles here: http://www.fashionbeans.com/author/evan-john/

Sam

Style Icon
    I'm not against the idea at all, it sounds smashing. A personal shopper is going to be far more familiar with the stock of the store, the fit and quality of each item, and a well meaning one could probably work you wonders.
    It takes a little of the fun out of it for me I guess - but I also can't count the times I've made ill-advised purchases in lieu of looking little harder for the perfect thing, which a personal shopper would probably sort out just fine.
    Also, I don't think you need to worry about commissions and ulterior agendas; the best way to make a customer fork out is by finding them the perfect items.

+ Reply to Thread