FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Trend Setter

The Difference Between A ‘Work Shirt’ And A ‘Going-Out Shirt’?

Do you see a distinct difference in the shirts you wear to work and those you don’t? Do you wear shirts to work with a tie and a suit that you can then wear out at the weekend open-collared with jeans and a jacket?

I’m looking to buy a couple of new shirts and I’d like them to be able to be worn in both situations.

I currently have two categories – ‘work’ and ‘non-work’. They hang in different wardrobes but I’m not entirely sure what the difference is between them. Recently my girlfriend asked me to wear a specific shirt out for dinner with her parents and I said ‘I can’t wear that one, it’s a work shirt’. But I can’t put my finger on why I keep them apart.

I have my shirts tailor-made and can choose all details. What details would work in both a work and non-work environment? I’m thinking very fitted, slim placket, no pockets, single button cuff, full cut away collar.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
    www.twitter.com/electroRoss

Trend Setter
    I think the only shirts I wouldn't wear for both are double cuffs. I personally keep cufflinks for work. Oh, and I wouldn't wear plaid shirts for work. Thats about it though.

Jay

Style Icon
    Sometimes the difference can be quite small.

Like Paul, I'd keep a double cuff for work and formal situations. I never ever wear a button-down collar in a work or formal situation. Sometimes material choice is an obvious decider: chambray and some oxford cloths (royal oxford being the exception) are casual only. If there are over stylised details (on pockets or plackets for example) then I keep those for casual. I will wear plaid for work but only some very light plaid patterns (nothing heavy or bold). Overly bold colouring and patterning in general I keep for casual wear. Cut away collars I only wear with a tie (they look silly without one) but then I wear ties casually too.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Sometimes the difference can be quite small.

Like Paul, I'd keep a double cuff for work and formal situations. I never ever wear a button-down collar in a work or formal situation. Sometimes material choice is an obvious decider: chambray and some oxford cloths (royal oxford being the exception) are casual only. If there are over stylised details (on pockets or plackets for example) then I keep those for casual. I will wear plaid for work but only some very light plaid patterns (nothing heavy or bold). Overly bold colouring and patterning in general I keep for casual wear. Cut away collars I only wear with a tie (they look silly without one) but then I wear ties casually too.
    Thanks Jay, that's very helpful as always.

Trend Setter
    stiff collar for work, soft collar outside the office.

only time i wear a soft collar shirt at work is if im dressing down.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    stiff collar for work, soft collar outside the office.

only time i wear a soft collar shirt at work is if im dressing down.
    That's an interesting one and something I generally agree with

Trend Setter
    The term "going out shirt" is one my friends and I use to describe those shiny, eletric-blue, silk monstrosities and a like that bros, or as we say "chongos," love to wear.

Trend Setter
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterShorts View Post
    The term "going out shirt" is one my friends and I use to describe those shiny, eletric-blue, silk monstrosities and a like that bros, or as we say "chongos," love to wear.
    I gots to get me one of those

+ Reply to Thread