FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Question GQ's Best Dressed 2012

Hi all,

I was recently looking through GQ's best dressed list 2012 and came across Labrinth at #41. The picture in the magazine shows him sporting a bow tie, which is less like the "normal" bow tie and more like a bow you'd see on flowers for instance. I have a wedding in a few weeks and was trying to come up for a way to make the normal suit/tie combo look a bit more interesting and this would be perfect.

The problem I have is that I have no idea what this style of tie is called, nor how to tie it. The closest thing I can find having asked Google is part of a fancy-dress cowboy outfit which is, for obvious reasons, not what I'm after. I just wondered if any of the tie gurus out there could point me in the right direction in terms of tying it, and if possible, the best kind of material for this, as I don't want it going Pete Tong after a few hours.

I can't find a picture of this online anywhere, so for anyone that did see the magazine, any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers, Scott

Ok, not the best picture of it, but it's the only one I can find short of taking a picture of the mag on my phone...

Hope this help, thanks in advance.

Trend Setter
    It is called a colonel tie, it is an old west style. Think of the colonel from KFC.

Perfect - Thanks for the "technical" term! The search results I'm now getting are much more useful and less fancy dress.

Trend Setter
    You're welcome, it is not common knowledge. I when through a small fascination with them myself, but have never been able to find the string like free style variation. All the results I have gotten match the picture you posted and they are all clip-ons. The ones real dandies wore were often thinner, though they don't have to be, and all much floppier. I have considered just tying a piece of fabric around my neck like a bow tie, but not tucking in the ends, the result would look pretty much the same. I remember in my research that they are the most popular neck apparel at old west themed weddings, which is a little funny to imagine.

Yeah I think I'll start off by buying some material and trying to tie one myself, then I can make the end as long as I want. If all else fails I'll try one of the Southern state sites that come up on Google. I imagine they must still be quite popular in that area of the world given that I stumbled across a website dedicated to that style.

Trend Setter
    They aren't that popular in the south, I mean they aren't like the bolo tie, which is still worn everyday by some, they are popular as a novelty. However, they do only sell clip-ons.

+ Reply to Thread