FashionBeans: Men's Fashion & Men's Style Guide
+ Reply to Thread

Fashionisto

Oh No! Red Chinos

I loved them in moderation (i.e. not worn with everything!). E.g. with a nice white shirt.

But I was out shopping for the first time in a while today and i was counting how many guys and women had them on, they were absolutely everywhere, i lost count!

And people were not doing them justice man, it was thrown in with any old top or hoody.

I am perhaps unjustifiably bothered by this, but i seriously loved them in moderation, not bandied around everywhere which is the case now.

Style Icon
    No its not unjustified in the slightly! I used to live in my burgandy ones, and I'm being put off now because the whole world is wearing them. It's same thing I guess put most of us lot of brown/stone chinos over the last couple of years.

And like you said, I wouldn't mind if they were part of considered outfits. But its a hoody and trainers, ridiculous!

Jay

Style Icon
    So you don't like something because others wear them? If this were a music forum and you said you no longer liked a band because they'd become popular, people would think you were being a pretentious elitist, which is exactly what you are being.

Style Icon
    I agree on the music thing Jay, and for the record I count Abba, Take That and Coldplay amoung my favourite bands.

But fashion is slightly different, it's external. And it's elitist by nature really: you want to dress "better" than everyone else.

It just means we have to try harder to stand out when we walk down the highstreet, which means more money. Simple as. =)

Trend Setter
    Must be hard to be fashionable in England. Never seen another person, other than myself, wearing red chinos.

Trend Setter
    It is ridiculous the amount of people wearing them! Not a fan of the red in the first place tbh.

Jay

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Nath6644 View Post
    I agree on the music thing Jay, and for the record I count Abba, Take That and Coldplay amoung my favourite bands.

But fashion is slightly different, it's external. And it's elitist by nature really: you want to dress "better" than everyone else.

It just means we have to try harder to stand out when we walk down the highstreet, which means more money. Simple as. =)
    So it's OK to be elitist about the things other people can see? But not about things they can't? That's a little arbitrary and a lot shallow, no?

The fundamental problem with your argument is 'better'; That's where the elitism comes in. I don't listen to better music than other people or dress better than other people; I listen to music I like and dress how I like (and that's better for me) regardless of other people.

Wanting to stand out is a concept I can understand. I wear my red chinos often, but I'll stand out because there won't be anyone pairing them with a tweed jacket, crisp oxford shirt, tie, brogue boots and pocket square.

I don't agree that fashion is by nature elitist either: the very definition of fashion is 'the prevailing style or custom'. You can't be fashionable if you are the only one wearing something.

Style Icon
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    So it's OK to be elitist about the things other people can see? But not about things they can't? That's a little arbitrary and a lot shallow, no?

The fundamental problem with your argument is 'better'; That's where the elitism comes in. I don't listen to better music than other people or dress better than other people; I listen to music I like and dress how I like (and that's better for me) regardless of other people.

Wanting to stand out is a concept I can understand. I wear my red chinos often, but I'll stand out because there won't be anyone pairing them with a tweed jacket, crisp oxford shirt, tie, brogue boots and pocket square.

I don't agree that fashion is by nature elitist either: the very definition of fashion is 'the prevailing style or custom'. You can't be fashionable if you are the only one wearing something.
    I agree that I haven't put it the best I could. And using the word "better" was a mistake. By "better", I suppose I meant more unique, although you must agree there are fundamental rules to looking good.

+ Reply to Thread